City of 200 people in one house

Boats stranded and traces of reindeer in front of the main entrance to Begich Towers i>

Whittier, Alaska - a town of about 200 people, almost all of whom live in the 14-story former army barracks, built in 1956. Building called Begich Towers accommodates a police station, a medical clinic, a church and a laundry room. Its corridors reminiscent of a school or a correctional facility. Residents can often be seen scurrying around in slippers and pajamas. The only entry in Whittier on land passes through chetyrёhkilometrovy tunnel with one lane, which is closed at night.

Summer cruise ships, charter boats and fishing vessels bring thousands of visitors to the bay Whittier on the west side of Prince William. However, in winter the city covers a six-meter layer of snow, and the wind of 100 km / h is normal. The weather is so severe that children go from Begich Towers in school through the tunnel. In the months when few visitors and local shops close the door, there is a feeling strange comfort, where at any time a person can knock on the door of the apartment police chief, where students do homework in the kitchen at the teacher, and pastor conducts the baptism in an inflatable pool on the ground floor.

June Miller manages the hotel rooms on the top two floors of the Begich Towers i>

Before his departure Baptist pastor Kevin Jones led the predominantly Catholic community i>

Gary Carr works in Kozy Korner Store, one of the two grocery stores Whittier i>

Because of the broken pot on the 10th floor of the police hydroponic equipment donated school Whittier to grow vegetables for plantation monitors grader Joe Lipscomb i>

Due to the harsh winters of the only playground of the city is under the roof i> How often do you leave the house, if you are healthy?
every day Not every day Sometimes, that did not go out two or more consecutive days Voted 1658 people. Excused 104 people. Only registered users can vote in polls. Sign , please.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/244362/

Tags

See also

New and interesting