Librarians as Google to the era of the Internet. Unusual requests from the middle of the last century

If today Google can not answer your question, who do you call? Ghostbusters Librarians, of course.

Librarian - it's cool. Who goes TNT show " The Librarians ", where they hunt for ancient artifacts better than Indiana Jones. Over the past couple of years, "librarian" appearing in the "Working with the least stress» Forbes. And even today, search engines, librarians make new discoveries.

A few weeks ago, employees of the New York Public Library (the third volume in the world) found a box of old customers' requests from 1940 to 1980. The representative of the library named Angela Montefinis these questions "compelling." And in his own naive, reflecting the spirit of the age.

Angel: "Some of them are quite difficult. Other interesting from a historical point of view, and some just fun. "

Can you divorce yourself (alone)? (1945)

I just saw a mouse in the kitchen. Can I use DDT? (1946)

How long eyelash lives? Answer: According to the book "Your hair and care for them," 150 days (1946)

What it means to dream in which you pursue an elephant? (1947)

Where can I rent a beagle to hunt? (1963)

What is the thickness of a postage stamp with glue? Answer: We can not immediately respond to you. Why do not you ask the post office? Reaction: So after this post! (1963)

Is there a library computer available for visitors? The answer is: No! (1966) i>

And here's a note typed on a card catalog:
A phone call the day in the New Year, 1967. Unsure woman's voice: "I have two questions. First about etiquette. I went to a Christmas party and suddenly stayed overnight. But I do not know the owners. Do I need to send a thank-you card? And the second. If I met a man whose fortune is estimated at twenty million dollars seed (so I'm told), and I know his nationality - how do I know his name? ». I>

The library plans to place some of the old issues in their Instagramme.

"We have been replaced by Google before his appearance," explains Angela. "If you had to know would die if a poisonous snake bite itself if you come or call us. Yes, this question is also asked us ».

Even if you have Google, Siri, OnStar, DuckDuckGo and all other library continues to answer questions. "We get about 1700 queries per month by chat, e-mail or phone," says Angela. Some of the questions difficult to answer, even now - is that the Internet contains a lot of conflicting information. And here you can read to help the librarian.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/243383/

Tags

See also

New and interesting