WhatsApp founder donated $ 1 million fund FreeBSD

17 November Fund FreeBSD сообщил an unexpected generous donation - $ 1 million. Patron made Kum Yang, co-founder and CEO of the well-known application WhatsApp. This is the largest donation in 15-year history of the fund. The Fund reports that now plans on how best to distribute the money that they have benefited FreeBSD-community. The Fund intends to invest part of the money to provide supporting his income, and some send to the improvement and expansion of functional.

Kum Yang commented on their donation on their page on Facebook : «Last week I donated a million dollars FreeBSD Foundation which has been supporting open operating system, helping millions of programmers to follow their passion and realize their dreams.
I - one. I started using FreeBSD at the end of 90, when I was not rich and lived in a council house. In a sense, FreeBSD helped me break out of poverty - thanks to her I got a job at Yahoo. Years later, when we decide to do with Brian WhatsApp, on their servers, we used FreeBSD. And I still use.
I want to make this donation has shed light on the foundation's work, with the hope that others will also help to advance its work. We will all benefit if the fund is to give others the opportunities it gave me - to bring other immigrants from poverty and help more startups to build something successful and transforming today's reality ».

FreeBSD - one of the most popular UNIX-like systems are mainly used on Internet servers. The first version of the system came in 1993. According to research firm w3techs, FreeBSD is used by 1% of all servers in the world.

Kum Yang - Ukrainian immigrant, born in Kiev in 1976, and emigrated to the US in 1992 with her mother and grandmother. Working in Yahoo, he met with Brian Acton, which paired in 2009 founded the messenger for smartphones WhatsApp. This application is for communication in the form of instant messaging, to which you can attach pictures and video. In 2014 a start was bought by Facebook for $ 19 billion.

Source: geektimes.ru/post/241898/

Tags

See also

New and interesting