Google Cardboard. Virtual reality is made of cardboard and Android-smartphone

For the conference Google I / O, Google has prepared some good news, but the most unusual of the new products created a couple of employees of the Paris offices in their spare time, 20% (yes, in some places, these rules still apply). This project is a virtual reality simulation using homemade VR helmet made of cardboard, which is inserted in the Android-smartphone. Smartphone shared image on a stereo pair, and even tracks the position of the head!

The project is called Google Cardboard .

Make this helmet a snap. Need to find a suitable piece of cardboard, two lenses, a neodymium magnet with a diameter of about 19 mm and 3 mm thick rubber ring and some Velcro. It is advisable to stick to the helmet NFC-Sticker for more reliable interaction with the smartphone.

circuit board cut on a laser cutter for cutting and printing scissors

Step 1/3 i>

On devices running Android 4.2+ Install the program Cardboard, homemade dress helmet - and run the demo on stereoscreen. This is almost true virtual reality, so to speak.

Smartphone can react to the motion of a magnet, capturing the change of values ​​of the magnetic field through the built magnetometer. In the demo, it does not work, but the developer proposes to create their own applications, and there can be such: developer documentation .

Distribution of cardboard helmets at the conference Google I / O

List of compatible smartphones Fully compatible
Google Nexus 4 and 5 Motorola Moto X Samsung Galaxy S4 and S5 Samsung Galaxy Nexus ul > Partially compatible
HTC One Motorola Moto G Samsung Galaxy S3

Source: habrahabr.ru/post/227641/

Tags

See also

New and interesting