Sea Gypsies

Says photographer and traveler Roman Sukhodeyev: Sea Gypsies. Throughout his life, they roam the waves between the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia, spend their lives in boats, industrial fishing and pearling, in houses on stilts on the shore. Flight from Moscow to the capital of Malaysia, and then reaching in Tawau town on the island of Borneo, I went in search of surprising people Bhajan. And he was not sure that I would find him. But I was lucky: I met a man who had brought me to the sea gypsies.

A stay at the outlandish tribe that lives not on land and in the sea, was my old dream. Here I spent a couple of days.

Roma friendliness I felt already at the door. Even before the boat unloaded from the old goodies - a bag of rice, a bottle of oil and a sack of flour.

Strong ship five meters in length and a half in width - that still need to meet fun gypsy old age ?!

Trough sea gypsy - the bike for "land" the boy. Turquoise waves of the sea of ​​Sulawesi since childhood filled with body strength, and spirit - health.

Bhajan live community. And true to the laws of their ancestors. In search of a good production can roam for days at sea, sailing on the beach just to, for example, mention the holy month of Ramadan, bury the body of the deceased, or a wedding.

The younger generation, as well as senior members of the tribe were not able to answer the question "How old are you?". They are all happy kids sun and sea, there was no clock. Although I have met are those who have documents.

Under the roof of his house, as we know, is always good. Even if the roof are artfully interwoven palm leaves.

As a rule, young Bhajan do not go to school. Pants sit at the desk they do not have. And just to put on - is not always necessary.
Today, the father came home from work early. And with a good catch. Shoals of fish was less nimble than seasoned salt.

Born in the sea do not speak in English. But I seem to be able to understand that recently extracted fish nets and hooks Roma is becoming increasingly difficult, we have to resort to the help of dynamite. Well, who's never smelled gunpowder?

In the water down here to swim, swim, collect seaweed. Yes, for any need.

The time I spent at the Bhajan, reminded me of "Holiday Boniface". Every morning, I like a cartoon lion, arranged performances for ingenuous rebyatni. And even taught how to handle the camera.

The ability to hold their breath for a long time passed by sea gypsies, as they say, with his mother's milk. But the boys - all boys. Resolve disputes "who long" - three coconut.

From time to time we have to go on the road for fresh water.

Do not think that the life of Gypsies easy as a breeze. Generation of young have much to ponder. After two or three empty "fish carts" and pulls drop everything, move to the land and engage in buying and selling.

But while I was staying here, I have not met one bored child. But no internet.

Novice diver with pleasure poses for the camera. I do not doubt that soon he, like his father and grandfather, learn to dive to 30 meters deep. To master this skill, he will have to ... hurt eardrums. Sharp objects do not need to need to not equalize the pressure, rushing into the depths. It is clear that the bleeding, dizziness and hearing loss are provided, but a month later will be safely lowered to the seabed.

On the second day of stay in the marine realm, the state noted, any dwelling house similar to Baba Yaga. Only instead of chicken legs hut attached a wooden leg. By the way, these piles have to be changed often.

Caravan in the desert turquoise.

To drive, whether that of clams for dinner?

Unlike land Roma predicting the storms of life on the arm, sea gypsies anticipate a storm of wind rustling.

No social networks! Only fishing!

For clothes - skirts, shorts, shirts, caps, slates, jewelery - members of the community go, as once our village, to the fair.

To stock up on food and clothing, Roma should be from time to time to leave their sea abode.

While men control the boats and fish, the women cook and wash clothes. All homework easily perform even girls. Laundry for this young hostess - a pleasure. And here about washing machines, of course, do not dream. Maximum - a new trough.

First steps. By the native culture or civilization? It is interesting that this person chooses, when he grows up?

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting