People in the cells

Always I wondered where in New York's Chinatown as people and how they survive in the constantly rising prices for housing. A particularly acute problem in Manhattan, where the average cost of renting two-bedroom apartment (one bedroom) has long surpassed the mark of 3000 dollars. About the fact that they firmly occupy all the rooms I knew, but I never saw this in any live or on a photo. Today I came across a photo story of Annie Lee, who filmed the life of the inhabitants of one of the Chinese dormitories. Then her photo with comments.

27 photos via samsebeskazal

It is interesting that in the 19th century lived about the same ones who are now Americans, and who once built this city. Many European immigrants lived in no less (and sometimes more) appalling conditions. In addition, they had no electricity, no refrigerators or more. Today Europeans placed in such conditions will begin to die en masse. And the Chinese are quite a surviving Chinatown and cover more and more areas of New York.

2. China is building a hostel where all the facilities razgorozheny into tiny cubicles of about 6 meters each. The cost of renting a single cell is from 100 to 200 dollars a month.

3. Residents have to use a shared toilet and the food they prepare for a tiny kitchen or in the corridors.

4. The view from the roof of the building.

5. In such a lot of elderly housing. More than 40% of older people living in Chinatown are below the poverty line.

6. Chang Yui, 63 years old. It gathers in the trash empty plastic bottles to give 5 cents per share. The day so he earns about $ 20-30.

7. Chu Bin Jin lives in a cell number four for 12 years.

8. Mr. Chen of the twenty-two cell prepares for sleep.

9. Chan lives with his mother, who took the lower bunk.

10. Mom Chen 81. She lives here with all its assets (which is pictured). She had difficulty walking and she rarely leaves the building.

11. Inside the cell, it is impossible to achieve any privacy.

12. Always hear the sounds of the TV set to full volume, someone talking or snoring.

13. The air is always filled with the smell of tobacco smoke and cooking food.

14. The main entertainment tenants are television, playing cards and watching the life of New York, which they see out of his dirty window.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting