four-wheel drive motorcycle Ural

When I was driving in the "Ural" the ford, front wheel caught between two logs and stuck. I pulled out, of course - help good people. And on the shores of thought, if the front wheel was leading, the bike itself would be pulled!
Preparation

Kick Shaft prevented future construction, and I cut the "grinder" flush. Now the electric starter motor starts the staff of new motorcycles Irbit. But it is not set at a permanent site - side, where he will also be in the way. I adapted it from the top, above the middle of a transmission. Above the starter placed makeshift air filter housing (with a filter element from the "Lada"). To easily run the engine in cold weather, set the battery capacity of 35 Amp-hrs
Drive

The plug, which is planted on the output shaft of the gearbox, welded "Izhevsk" star with 18 teeth. To produce a plate, the edges of which are welded "glasses" for bearings - they are now inserted into the main drive shaft. On the right edge of the block welded "glass", which set the output pinion (4th gear) from "Izhevsk" KP with its roller bearing and the sprocket with 18 teeth. Inside the gear is free to rotate the rear end of the main shaft. This part is made in the image of the right half of the input shaft "Izhevsk" manual. On its slots put 2-4 gear transmission (also "Izhevsk"). Moving her slots, can be engaged her fists and output gear - turn on or off the drive. And not manually moves the gear lever to the electromagnet, and its switch is located on the steering wheel. To enable the drive, stop the motorcycle and press the button. Conveniently! The teeth of the gears as unnecessary cut and the surface on which they were polished. Now, in her slip seals to protect the mechanism from dirt. To the front edge of the unit (in the course of a motorcycle) welded other "glass", it posted a double-row ball bearing from the rear axle "Ural".

This unit is fixed to the motor mounting studs. The tension of the chain of 24 units can be controlled by setting between the unit and the frame on a motorcycle studs washers desired thickness. Main shaft inserted in the "glasses" and secured with two nuts one hand, on the other hand found it the outer CV joint on a car "Oka". Secure it in the same way as the cross is attached to the normal rear axle - the same wedge nut with the same left-hand thread. CV joint is part of the gland, which is located in the "glass" before the double ball bearing.

Fit

After securing the assembled structure, pulled the chain - it all came together: the main shaft rotates freely switching system works. But when installing left cylinder faced with the fact that the shaft ran into the cylinder cooling fins. I had to cut them a little.

Losses amounted to about 50 cm2. But not noticed that the cooling system has lost a lot. At the same time a little unbent left cylinder exhaust pipe - not to interfere in the shaft turns to the left.

Front axle

It remains attached to the front wheel rear axle "Ural". I took part of the rear end of the pendulum, feathers welded to the front fork. (I tried to fulfill all landing sizes as the rear wheel.) The cover axle gear turned by 47 °, to its tail "looked" in the direction of the shaft. Shank secured crossbar and flexible coupling. On the other hand coupling connected with redesigned steering knuckle, which includes a bearing hub and one of the constant velocity joints of the car "Oka", too, outside. Stub rigidly attached to the left front fork Peru. This part of the structure is needed to turn the steering shaft when touched wheels. In the "grenade" establish and fix the retaining ring shaft. This square tube, which slides longitudinally along the square section of the second semi-axis opposite SHRUS. So compensated by changing the length of the shaft when turning the steering wheel and the front fork is triggered.

Next 3 photos

All components of the front drive so designed to simplify installation and removal mechanism. To remove the drive, one person enough effort and time required to half an hour. You will want to return to their seats - to spend about an hour. Angles steering managed to keep the same, although I have to say, "grenade" at the maximum angles are stretched.

On rotation of another part of the power expended gear motor. But, contrary to expectations, the maximum speed is not reduced. Although consumption increased significantly: in the standard configuration consumes 8 liters per 100 kilometers, the front-wheel drive -10, 5 liters. That is not surprising: the total weight of additional nodes, not counting the large electric starter and battery, was 21 kg.

Most of the parts produced literally "on his knee," so that their accuracy and concentricity poor. During the years of operation showed a minor bug - enable the drive mechanism needs to be protected from dirt, so that now accommodates a neat cover. Nevertheless, the device passed without failure for nearly 5,000 km and has been successfully tested on IMZ. And the factory it was compared with a motorcycle, which were installed: drive on the side of the trailer with differential lock, rubber cleats with powerful and more powerful engine. My did not give him, "armed to the teeth" in the cross! And what would be the results, set me on my Irbitsky also drive the wheelchair?

It stirs in me a hope that the IMZ will undertake to release "Ural" with my improvements, but the factory experts said that the "Ural" and without that cheap, and the additional units would make it even more expensive. I'm sure a buyer will have such a machine.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting