Who poslendny to the moon?

The Last Man on the Moon

These days we hear a lot about Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon. Now you can remember and Eugene Cernan, the last of the Earthlings, who was standing on the lunar surface. It is December 14, 1972
3 Photo © Harrison H. Schmitt & Reuters via drugoi

The faceplate crew commander "Apollo 17" Eugene Cernan recognized photographer - geologist, lunar module pilot Harrison Schmitt. While the command module pilot Ronald Evans was in lunar orbit, two astronauts went three times to the lunar surface. Within days Cernan and Schmitt drove through the valley of Taurus on the lunar rover about 34 km and collected a record number of soil - 50 kg.

The last words said Cernan on the Moon were:

«As I take man's last step from the surface, back home for some time to come - but we believe not too long into the future - I'd like to just [say] what I believe history will record - that America's challenge of today has forged man's destiny of tomorrow. And, as we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind. Godspeed the crew of Apollo 17. »

"Bob says Gene, I'm on the surface and making the last step of a man from the surface of [the moon], returning home to ever go back - but, we believe, in the not too distant future - I would just like to [say] that that, I think, will remain in history. What is today's challenge to America to determine the future of mankind. And, leaving the moon in [area] Taurus-Littrow, we leave as well as come and, with God's help, will return - with peace and hope for all mankind. Good luck to the crew of "Apollo 17". "

Eugene Andrew Cernan at NASA Headquarters, Washington, 20 July 2009

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting