Man and open space

I have always been interested in various issues related to human space exploration. One of these questions: What will happen to the human body without a spacesuit in space? Sci-fi movies offer various options. For example, in the movie "Total Recall" Once in the atmosphere of Mars (and it there is so sparse that is not much different from the open space) people was as follows:

+2 letters photo for illustration via habrahabr [next]

And in the movie "Sunshine" People did not explode, but froze to death in a few seconds on the way without a spacesuit from one ship to another:

In general, all the films that I've seen anyway man caught in a vacuum, died within seconds a horrible death.

The other day I stumbled upon a page on the site NASA, devoted to this topic. Here's a quick squeeze of experts answers the question of what will happen to a man in the open space in the first minutes:

The body does not explode: the strength of the skin enough to withstand the internal pressure;
If you do not try to hold your breath, the lungs will not hurt;
Blood boils (circulatory system will keep the right pressure);
The body does not freeze, vacuum heat radiated very slowly;
After 15 seconds, it begins to deteriorate until the person feeling faint;
In the language can boil saliva (no burns);
In direct sunlight, you can get burned.

The general conclusion: death was due to a lack of oxygen in 1-2 minutes. Before that, nothing critical to a person should not happen.

Also on this page also describes an incident in 1965 in one of the centers of NASA. Because of the damaged suit the person was exposed to the vacuum in the chamber for 15 seconds, after which it began to increase the pressure. The man was conscious the first 14 seconds. Later he told me that the last thing he remembered - boil saliva on the tongue. But he survived.

Not so scary space, as we try to present it in the movies.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting