Travel Oxford

Writes andanton:

I travel a lot around the world, but this beauty is possible to see rare.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, we will pass through the streets of the stunning town. Its demography is amazing: a little more than 150 thousand people, 30 thousand of them are temporarily living students and 9.3 million visitors a year! Count one of the millions of visitors and feet walk through the streets of the old city center.

We are in Oxford. That taxis are painted in the periodic table.

Ox-Ford - Bovine Brod. Near Oxford is convenient ford across the River Thames. Through him, chasing cows, so the name originated. Oxford - not only in the world with such place names. Frankfurt, Stratford, Maastricht, Amersfoort, all these European cities are in its name component of Ford Fort striht, "ford" in terms of our dialect.

A badge on the screen a relatively large automotive company Morris founded a hundred years ago, Oxford-based bicycle factory of William Morris. Then this company absorbed "Leyland" then mark "Leyland" devoured "Rover", "Rover" went under the BMW and bent there. Currently, the brand "Morris" buy Chinese, but they did not release him under. There was only a symbol Bychkov, crossing the river.

In Calcutta still makes cars under license from Morris.

I walked along Oxford twice routes are marked in blue and red. Blue - it was a walking tour with a guide, red - I was one of the guidebook. Both trips took about five hours. The museum did not come - a pity - and the main church of Christ was not - and should have been. Time for anything is never enough. On mind this little town you need two days. Probably have to drive again.

I suggest going for Oxford as I shlos. And along the way I'll poison all sorts of different stories, there were stories about what we'll see. We start the way from the tourist office, located over a wide area near the place where he once executed Protestant martyrs Ridley, Latimer and Cranmer.

Oxford University is made up of college. As, however, likely, any university in the English-speaking world. As I understand it, it is wrong to equate a college faculty. It's true, colleges have their own specialization. But inside the college - a self-governing unit. It is possible the coexistence of college the same direction within the same university. In the original meaning of its Latin abbreviation for "college" refers to the coexistence of people consciously living by the same rules. Accordingly, each college has its own rules and schedule. Students enrolled in the college are required to obey all this. Central Authority of British university awards diplomas, manages the central library (in each college has also its own library for students), it is controlled by the university church. That is, the English university is a confederation model, while the Russian University has more federal structure, in which all departments are subject to the same statute.

At the University of Oxford 39 colleges and 7 schools.

In the pictures above, and Trinity College Baylil (written and Balliol, because of what it in Russian transcription of his writing as "Balliol"). Both are located next to Broad Street.

One of the first three colleges of Oxford University was founded by John Baylilem in 1263. Like almost all colleges, Baylil made in the form of a square with the inputs into the gate. As I understand it, the picture is just the main entrance. Interesting facts from the life of the college:

during the Reformation and related vicissitudes College supported Catholicism. When Henry VIII the college somehow managed slavirovat so that faith and to maintain and preserve the head. But when Elizabeth I's father, Alexander Bryant, a member of the board of the college, was executed in prison for their faith Tyburn. Now he canonized the Roman Church;

during the Civil War, King Charles I «borrowed" from college all his cash, 210 pounds in cash and 334 pounds of silver. What remained relevant papers. This duty of the royal family still has not given reasons unknown to me. Money, probably not. But the Royal College as a result of the loan was completely ruined, and for decades to languish with little or no teachers and students. The financial turmoil caused by the king's requisition, lasted more than 50 years;

Baylil in college he worked the famous Adam Smith, the first economist of humanity;

in college Baylil first of all male college woman was elected to the Board. It happened ... in 1973. England - a country of traditions and women have access to education at Oxford, both as students and teachers recently. Students appeared in Baylile in 1979. One of the students named Masako Owada - this is now the wife of the Emperor of Japan.

On the building (I do not remember, but I think it is also Baylil) the motto of the University of Oxford: Left DOMINUS ILLUMINATIO MEA (God is my light), right FORTIS EST VERITAS (in truth force). Bull on the arms for hours to wade the river.

So, sir, from the Broad Street turn south on Cornmarket Street - should be translated? Well, the corn market is our way.

Next on the itinerary is the oldest Oxford house built around 1386. It was a hotel. Now there are three store section.

Now we turn to the left along the former city wall.

The steeple of the church of Exeter College looks nice in the alignment of the narrow street. In this college he studied lord of the rings JRR Tolkien and the same William Morris, which gave Oxford own car production. In the courtyard of Exeter College I got the last of his life bullet Inspector Morse, the protagonist of the popular British detective series.

Exeter College is small in size. He is considered one of the colleges of Oxford chamber. It has only 320 students of all courses. In the picture a place where students prepare for classes. Trespassers on the lawn are not admitted, you can only spy on studiozusy-zubrilkami. England - a country of traditions and taboos that nobody is penalized. It is said can not be on the lawn, this privilege is only at 320 selected from all mankind. No breaks. It's awful nice for my taste.

We are located in the courtyard of Exeter College.

Camera right:

The right wing of the lecture hall.

Camera left:

The left wing is the same church, whose steeple pierces so pretty in the sky. Each college may have - or had - their church. Now diminished number of churches who believes a student in our time - a rarity. "Vsehnaya" Student church does not belong to any college - is the church of St. Mary.

Interior of the Church of Exeter College.

Medieval staircase leading in computer classes. Very dramatic.

Cara Exeter College, where we just walked.

You can go to college, obeying their rules, which are unstable and did know in advance is impossible. Over the entrance to some colleges charge a nominal fee of one pound or two, some free admission. The most expensive college - a college of Christ, think it is the entrance to six pounds, and the entrance to the stunning church college put a separate fee. At the entrance to each college will be a sign that notifies of the rules today. Visiting rules change almost daily, and even the city guides of the changes in advance do not know. College - is not a public institution. It is actually a private home, not accountable to anyone for their internal order. Each college offers shows just what he wants, and for the money that it sees fit. Sometimes special person ensures that visitors to abide by the rules, and sometimes no one was inside there, and conscience visitor - better control. For example, the top of those stairs that led to the computer class should not have to climb. Or on the door you can see the inscription «Private», so you can not look back. And where there is no label, and if it is open, then go poking your nose is not forbidden.

We leave from Exeter College, and on the streets Tёrl, the main street of medieval Oxford.

The tower at the end of the street Tёrl belonged to the parish church of All Saints, directly adjacent to the College of the Blessed Virgin Mary and All Saints. Long name, right? So in short, this is called the College Lincoln College. Short title, right? Lincoln - this is not a car or even the president. This place, a town in the county of Lincolnshire. Bishop of Lincoln founded the college in 1427 next to the already existing church, which is attributed to college.

Now the church was closed, and the room given to the library of Lincoln College.

In college, Lincoln (street Tёrl - a passage to the left of the tower of the church) came first at Oxford professor Jew. This momentous event occurred in 1882. Now it seems that all the professors in the world - Jews, and then the event for its importance was comparable with the election of Obama to the US presidency.

For many years before John Wesley, another professor at Lincoln College, organized within its walls biblical circle, turned later in the Methodist church. I know most of my readers (and for me) all these branches nonnative religions do not say anything. Then this: adherents of the Methodist Church in the modern world is 70 million. More, perhaps, than Russian Orthodox.

Legend has it that once the rector of Lincoln College zalimonil such a long and boring sermon that no one could listen to the end, and all quietly dispersed. All but one person. When the rector wanted to thank his most patient listener, it turned out that he died during a sermon, and only because could not get away.

The author of spy novels and himself a spy John le Carre Lincoln graduated from college. Moreover, the protagonist of his novels are written off with the rector of the college since his graduation. Another rector of Lincoln College until his appointment also worked in intelligence. Nevertheless, it is unlikely that it served as a nursery for college scouts. It just happened.

All colleges on the walls hang portraits of elegant professors and rectors heavy vintage frames. This is a tradition. Once such a position, a person falls into eternity automatically. In this college for the first time in the history immortalized (eternity - to perpetuate the) people who do not belong to the professorial staff. Modern cook and doorman College, worked for today 33 and 27 years stretch, awarded a high honor.

Let us go back to the street Tёrl. Incidentally, the name comes from the word «twirl», «spin». On the northern end of the street is the city wall, and out into the street was through a gate with a rotating turnstile, hence the name.

The city is flooded with cozy cafes. On the street they Tёrl in every private home. But our path lies not in the cafe, we are not cracking Oxford arrived. Only the spiritual food on the menu today. Last, the third college, located on the street Tёrl - it's Jesus College. Do not be confused: is Christ's College and Jesus College there, and they are two very different places.

Enter this door. This admission is free.

So it is very standard looking the courtyard of Jesus College.

College organized the great Queen Elizabeth I. Of course, it is not the person has done. There were ascetics vybivshie funding for the opening of the college under the patronage of Her Majesty. Accordingly, the 1571 base. But at Oxford, where all colleges jealous watching those was founded earlier this late date of foundation is considered indecent. Therefore, the official history of the College stated that the site was a school and a college dormitory, built in the XIII century. To make it worse than others.

For centuries, the statute prohibiting all Jesus College, even the appearance of a virtual women within its walls. All the professors and employees of the college, including Switzerland, had to keep a vow of celibacy. The ban was totally impracticable. Well, with the professors still somehow we could manage, but Switzerland does not want to obey such strict rules. Absolutely certain that the porter, who worked at the college about 1650, was secretly married. Statutes changed in 1970, when the college began to accept female students.

The most famous graduate of Jesus College - Lawrence of Arabia. His name is the first time I learned from the famous movie.

Let's look at the most important place of all college - in hall.

Speaking in Russian, is a student canteen. Only this - with a portrait of Queen Elizabeth on the table. They say that the food here today studiozusov zashibatelski delicious. And yet, like the Hall of Hogwarts? Of course, it seems. All halls of colleges alike. Hall of Hogwarts was filmed in a real hall of Christ's College, Oxford. Yes, a good half of the filming took place in Oxford garripotteriany.

via

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting