Erstwhile might of the USSR: Mines of nuclear missiles

Carefully concealed deep underground mine reached the 10 storey building, three-level underground command center between them. What it used to be hidden from prying eyes, and even the wife of the military did not know the truth about what their husbands are now open to the public. Yes, just look almost nothing, removed all the way to the wire bracket. But to see and learn the device itself and the mine control center was still very interesting!
24 Photo © alexcheban

People sometimes ask me why in my LJ almost no reports from Ukraine, to which I reply that has traveled a lot of places for a long time, but now I use my free time just to travel abroad. However, a lot of interesting stuff about unusual places in Ukraine, I have come so that will be a series of such reports. The trip described in this report, was the place to be for more than 5 years ago. My friends and I occasionally go out to some interesting places in the country following the crosstalk and places with geocaching site.

To the abandoned military installations usually comes standard neubivaemaya betonka, because there passed very heavy machinery:

P-14 - single-stage liquid Soviet medium-range ballistic missile (IRBM) land-based.

The rocket 8K65 is made of a single-stage circuit with separable warhead. Fuel tanks missile carriers used in the construction of aluminum panels treated himfrezerovaniem. Supercharging oxidizer tank is carried by air, the fuel - nitrogen. The fuel tanks are isolated from the rest of the fuel system cuts through the diaphragm valves, which allowed to increase the shelf life of the missile in the filled state of up to 30 days.

Test missiles were at Kapustin Yar from June 6 to 12 April 1961. The area of ​​impact was near Bratsk. The first series starts revealed a constructive deficiency causes cavitation and destruction of missiles, but the defect was easily eliminated. In September, 1962. c field position near the railway station near Chita Clear conducted the first successful test launch of P-14 with a nuclear warhead on a notional nuclear targets at Novaya Zemlya.

The missile in flight is set to target a given program, the team at the gas rudders come from induction sensors installed on giroplate in its turn stepper motors. The missile had a detachable head part in flight with a power of thermonuclear charge 1 or 2, 3Mt. Its separation from the main body produced by a team from the integrator to turn off the engine by breaking three explosive bolts. Immediately thereafter, includes three propellant engine brake installed outside pribor- tion compartment. Their action slowed down a flight missiles and deploy it to the body with the exception soudareniz warhead. There was also a system for emergency undermine warhead and propulsion system shutdown in the event of a significant deviation from the target missile flight path.

It looks like a set from the outside, cover the mine - reinforced concrete slab, weighing 450 tons. The lid is moved on rails, electric motors - for preventive maintenance, and powder - for combat purposes.

For silo used silo-based group start "Chusovaya" (8P764) development GSKB Spetsmash. A method of starting from the mine - free, gas-dynamic, starting from a glass on its own engines. The complex consisted of three silos located at a distance of 70-80m. Command posts, storage of fuel and compressed gas, power supply unit housed in the same building - technological unit. After downloading and filling lines and the attach power cables missiles could be in this position for several years. In the filled state: fully operational complex could be 30 days.

The general scheme, in the center of the command post:

Detailed diagram of the command post:

Walk?

Place tank heptyl:

Technical room around the top of the crater of the mine from the command post:

Driving shaft with a rocket:

Inside, the height equal to the height of the mine reached the 10-storey building, 30m:

Of course, after folding the nuclear program of all these objects looted as much as possible about the proper preservation too, no one thought.
However, in Ukraine based on the site of one of these parts by the military itself created a stunning museum, where you can go down into the mine and the command post at the bottom and sit in place who gave the final order to launch missiles.

Travel in Ukraine - it's fine

PS coordinates of the object I have not reported, but Googling is good, everything can be found.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting