Luxury "peacock" Spider

Strolling through the wastelands of Australia, an entomologist Jurgen Otto stumbled upon the tiny insect, which he had never contacted - peacock spider. The size of the arachnids, known in the scientific world as Maratus volans, only 5 mm, and he knows how to deftly jump and run. But most of all this spider is distinguished from others of its resemblance to a peacock.
11 ph via bigpicture

1. "When I arrived in Sydney, I was bored, because I did not think that there is something interesting to photograph. But now I do not want to live anywhere else. I think I have found the most beautiful spider in the world "- says Otto.

2. As with their male peacock with colorful feathers, the males of this spider are pretty bright, "feathers", which rise like a fan, showing incredible rainbow palette and rich colors.

3. Only the males of this species have similar colorful "accessory" - that is their tool to attract females.

4. In order to attract the attention of females, males are satisfied with the whole show.

5. Otto managed to photograph these spiders close just at the time when they were busy with their mating rituals.

6. The purpose of these rituals - to demonstrate all their brilliance.

7. Moreover, the spiders pick up and shake paws, while swaying from side to side.

8. Unfortunately, if the male will not be able to hit a female, he can eventually become its prey.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting