Edward VIII

In the movie "The King's Speech," told the story of the king's brother.
The Duke of York, Albert becomes king instead of his older brother, he abdicated because of the enthusiasm of the American special contentious behavior and vulgar manners. (Because of the film.)
I want to show you this, not cine David - King Evard VIII, Wallis Simpson and the present.
For those who have never heard of them or seen the movie, help one paragraph.
Edward VIII, for 10 months - the King of Great Britain and Ireland, Emperor of India. Not because it was crowned the UK government and the Church of England did not give consent to marry American divorcee Wallis Simpson. He abdicated, received the title of Duke of Windsor, and most of the rest of his life governor of the Bahamas with his wife.

Here they are, the former King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson - one of the most controversial and unusual pair of 20th century.
They met on a secular party in November 1930. The first thing that caught her eye, she was introduced to the Prince of Wales - his "sad eyes, golden hair, upturned nose and absolute naturalness».
By this time the 35-year-old Wallace has managed to divorce Lieutenant Navy US Earl Winfield, go through numerous love affairs, and to marry a rich and good-natured American Ernest Simpson, whose business interests made him a long time to live in London.
With the party started dating, which is then passed to flirt, passion, and finally - in the love that shook the very foundations of the British Empire.

1940, Lisbon, Portugal. Duke and Duchess of Windsor. And as their favorite dog, which does not care about the photographer.)

1940, Lisbon, Portugal. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

France, in 1955. Garden and summer house of the Duke of Windsor in the south of France.

1936, Broadcasting House, London, England. King Edward VIII is preparing to abdicate.
Many years later, in 1957, looking back over his short reign, he categorically denied that denied simply because it never wanted to be the monarch: "That's a lie. I firmly declare that all my life I was preparing for this work, and 24 years as the Prince of Wales I have faithfully served my country and the Commonwealth. Having embarked on the throne for a year, I have worked intensely and selflessly. I wanted to be king. ".

1936. King Edward VIII appears on radio and the renunciation of the crown. Completed 327 days of the reign.

Wallis Simpson. My favorite woman of the king.
Their love was always surrounded by rumors and gossip, often very nasty property.
His passion for German culture and Germanophilism - rumors turned almost in complicity with Nazism. In a short period of life in Europe, after the wedding, they made a trip to Germany and met Hitler, for which they blamed the present day. But I note that the 37-year, it is two years before the outbreak of the Second World War, Hitler still perceived as a politician who came to power through legitimate.
Lots of nasty things said about her appearance. It was not pretty, and so incredible affection and love for David Wallace gave birth at the time such stories, to mention that I do not feel like.
Fortunately, they both knew how to not pay attention to such nasty things.

June 1937, the Château de Kande, France. The marriage of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
Wallis Simpson, who married Edward and became the Duchess of Windsor, was known as one of the main trendsetter - thanks to her perfect dress, her large collection of jewelery and her taste in interior design. He was known as the Prince of Wales, the Duke of Windsor, and the stylish man. Men's fashion must for many things to be thankful to him to this day. He was one of the most stylish and impeccably dressed men of his time.

In June 1937, Monts, France. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor were photographed outside the Chateau de Kande, after civil and religious ceremonies, who joined them in marriage. Left Herman Rogers, who gave the bride, and on the right, Major ED Metcalfe, who was best man at Duke both ceremonies.
No member of the royal family at the wedding did not come.

Paris, France, in 1939. Outside view of the house where the Duke and Duchess of Windsor lived after their marriage, away from England.

1941, Nassau, Bahamas. The Governor of the Bahamas, dressed in an impeccable suit and in a fun two-tone shoes, sitting at the feet of his wife at Government House.

1941, Nassau. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor playing card game at his home.

1941 Nassau, Bahamas. By car, the Duke of Windsor has no license plate, only the emblem of the royal crown. In our time, for the same purpose using blue flashing lights.)

1943. The Governor of the Bahamas, the Duke of Windsor, toured the field Bahamian agricultural workers during the Second World War.

1953. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor.
One picture is able to tell about their relationship more than ten pages of text ...

1954. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, posing with their beloved dogs.
Now Wallis says the photographer: "Kings do not play a big role in our day, so they are quick to forget." And then look at him and added, "But he will be remembered for a long time. Because of me ".

Paris, France, 15 September 1967. The Duke of Windsor to play cards at Le Moulin de la Tuileries.

They live a long life. Edward died of throat cancer in 1972. The funeral will be held in London. The queue of those who come to say goodbye, stretched for a mile. The chapel will visit Queen Elizabeth with her husband and daughter.
Wallis outlive him by 14 years and died in 1986 at the age of ninety years. According to the wishes of the Duke, the royal family to bury her next to her husband.

December 1936. Windsor, Berkshire, England.
The king of England, Edward VIII few minutes ago resigned.
Just what did he say to the British and worldwide important words in his life: "I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to fulfill my duties of the king without the help and support of the woman I love."
Sometimes people do things and then regret it.
He has not regretted never.

Tags

See also

New and interesting