How do I get free

10 receptions unscrupulous customers to pay less for their work. And ideally - get it for free.

Unfortunately, the people of creative professions is especially important to be careful, that would not be left without payment for work done. Since this work is often intangible and difficult to assess the ease, especially important to negotiate the details and conditions of work.

Part of the creative talents have to deal with dishonest customers. Nice to have an agent or manager, but in most cases, it is necessary to agree on their own work, missing a lot of important details and not having much experience and sufficient discernment.

1. "Do this job at a discount (or free), and then we'll order it for next reimburse»

No self-respecting business man will not be free to distribute their work and spend time in the hope that in the future, will receive compensation for it. Well, imagine that said some plumber, you would suggest the following: "Come on, you set me free shell, and the next time I need a sink, I will repay it." He would have laughed in your face!

2. "We never pay a ruble, until we see the final version»

Seems to be true, unless it is an attempt to leave a loophole to "throw" you with payment. Virtually every professional asked to pay a deposit or pay for the work in stages, with the exception of only the smallest of projects. Once you have established strong business relationships, you can work out with the client any other payment rule. But the new client has no right to demand from you without paying more than the initial meeting and, perhaps, a few preliminary sketches!

3. "Do this for us and you know the whole world! And orders and sprinkling on you! »

Nonsense. Try telling the plumber "Install this sink me, it sees my friend, and you will have a bunch of orders!". Our plumber friend would reply: "You want to say that even if I do a good job, I have to do it for free, to be noticed?" In addition, the customer then starts to show off any counter that such work should normally XXX dollars and it is such a fine businessman, got it for free! If someone calls, the only hope for the same work free.

4. Looking at the outline or sketch: "Well, we're not sure if we want to work with you, but leave until their materials from us, so that I can discuss them with your partner, investor, wife»

You can be sure that 15 minutes after you leave he will call other designers, having the ready-made sketches, and ask them about the prices. When you call back, you say that your prices are too high, so this work will deal with the studio "Horns and Hoofs." What's so surprising that they gave a lower price? You have saved them a few hours of consultation, to pay for which they did not dare to hope! As long as you do not arrange a deal, do not leave anything in the client's office.

5. "Well, we do not cancel the order, but merely postponed. Wait a little, we will continue through the month - other »

Um, most likely - no. If there is something to this had to be done urgently, and now - no, most likely the case died. The best solution would be to put a bill for the work at the moment, and then quietly ensure that there will be! Otherwise, you call two months later, and it turns out that your work has long been engaged by someone else. And you know what will happen? They will not even know you ...

6. "Contract? What the hell contract! We're friends ... »

Yes course friends, but until something goes wrong or not as will be understood. And then you will become a "monster in a suit," and I turn into a "designer-jerk." So, the contract - an important detail. Well, unless you do not care - you pay or not. Any self-respecting entrepreneur establishes their relationship on paper, so should you.

7. "Send me a bill after the work is published»

Why wait for this deadline will not be having any relation to the case? You've done your job, right? You are an honest man, right? Why would you get attached to this term? Once you pass the work, and it has been accepted invoice. This phrase may be just pulling tactics payment. If the guy is waiting for the job to be printed, and you agree to make the necessary changes, then he can just forget about you and do not pay for the work on amendments.

8. "The last time we did it for XXX dollars»

So what? If the last time they did a good job, now would they talk to you? And how many took with them the previous performer to you has nothing to do. People taking their time for too little, fall out of business (or bankrupt, or just me busy), and someone has to take their place. Let's take a fair price and stick to it.

9. "We can allocate only XXX dollars, and point»

Amazing, is not it? This guy is probably going to buy the shell knows exactly how much he will have to spend, not even looking at the product and is not like the market. Doubtful. A certain amount of work costs a certain amount of money. If they have less money, less work to do (if you can), and thus, will still get the order. But make sure that the customer understands that you do less work, as received less money than expected. Give them less choices, do something simply, send them for any kind of work to another company.

10. "We now have financial problems. Give us your work, we get the money and pay you »

Well, of course! That's just where the money will, you can be sure that in turn your accounts payable will be the tail. When someone reaches this state, it is recognized that there are problems, it means that things are going worse than they are trying to show. But even in the best case, that you - the bank? Unless you are competent enough to understand, do not lie if their financiers? If a company has reached such a point that he could not get a loan in any bank or bank, then what is the point you to extend them credit? If you play in the nobility, you will surely lose. But if you really let them wait until the last, then certainly at least require additional money for their expectation. Banks charge interest for the granted credit, you should do the same. Maybe you and deal for this reason: to get essentially an interest-free loan instead of paying interest to the bank. Do not scatter your money.

Tags

See also

New and interesting