This Chinese supercomputer

The Chinese are known for their ability to produce counterfeit technology-based, expertly copied from the famous Western, Japanese and Korean developers. But today came very surprising news: China has established a supercomputer average poshiba solely from Chinese parts. We are not talking about the "Pentium", assembled in China, and about the car, collected on the basis of processors developed in China. Of course, not the fact that they were designed by Chinese engineers "from scratch", but still interesting news.

Chinese University of Science and Technology has developed a supercomputer KD-50-I to set up in China based processors Loongson 2F.

64-bit chips Loongson 2F (previously known as Godson) operating at a clock frequency of 1, 2 GHz and a performance comparable with the processors Intel Pentium 4. The computer system KD-50-I, as indicated on the website of the Chinese Academy of Sciences, applied about 330 chip Loongson 2F, which together provide a performance about one teraflops (trillion floating point operations per second). In China, there are already similar to supercomputers and higher speed, but they are collected on the basis of components from companies such as IBM, Intel and AMD. The system as KD-50-I used only their own development and technology of China.
Supercomputer KD-50-I size is comparable to the household refrigerator, its power consumption is about 6 kW. Construction computationally complex cost 800 million yuan, or about 112 thousand US dollars.
In 2008, China plans to create a much more powerful supercomputer processor-based Loongson. It is expected that the performance of the future is already set to reach 100 teraflops. With such performance indicators Chinese supercomputer could get into the top ten ranking of the current five hundred most powerful systems in the world Top-500.

Tags

See also

New and interesting