The feat Sandler

This grandmother - God dandelion named Irena Sendler (Irena Sendler). You know who she is? Most likely no. About her very few people knew until 2007, when she was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. But, unfortunately, she had lost. And it is beautifully described the state of neglect of such a prestigious award, its politicization and formality.

During World War II, Irena Sendler as an employee of the Warsaw health department, visited the Warsaw Ghetto, where traces of sick children. Under this guise, she risked her life was taken from the ghetto 2,500 children and thus saved them from death.

Imagine a small, very frail and weak woman, risking everything, every day save small children from certain death - a total of about 2,500 people. Yes, it is love in its purest form! Dimensionless, unrestricted, disinterested. We can admire it, but we are hard to understand, because most of us have long been others.

Irena Sendler was born February 15, 1910 in Warsaw. During World War II, was an employee of the Warsaw health department and, in addition, a member of the Polish underground organization - the Council for Aid to Jews (Zegota).

To be able to enter the ghetto, Irena managed to get herself and her accomplice, Irena Schultz, official pass from the Warsaw Epidemic Control Department. Together they have been in the ghetto every day, and soon they were able to establish useful contacts there, who helped them in the future hatch outside the ghetto. Irena Sendler and her friend brought to the ghetto food, medicine, money and clothing.

Later in the process they were able to connect and other caring organizations. However, given the terrible conditions in the ghetto, where 5,000 people a month were dying of starvation and disease, they decided to help people, especially children, get out of the ghetto. It was not an easy task. And over time, it becomes even more difficult - the Germans sealed off all possible exits in all directions: subways, holes in the wall of the ghetto, and so on - that are used at the beginning of Irena to bring children.

Some guards bribed it when there was money, and sometimes she could just throw children over the fence of the ghetto. Very often babies she hid in a box from under the instrument, and older children - in the back of his truck under a tarpaulin. In the car, she always had a dog that is trained to bark at the guards when the car admitted to the ghetto, or produced from it. Drowned out the noise of barking dogs or crying babies.

Sendler is always carefully noted on paper, in coded form, the original names of the rescued children and store this information in glass jars, which are dug in his garden. It does this so that at some point in the future to find the parents of children and restore family. As a result, these banks in the garden Sendler accumulated names of 2,500 children.

October 20, 1943 Sendler was arrested by the Gestapo. She was subjected to beatings and torture, during which she had broken both legs and both arms. But to break her spirit Gestapo and failed: no information from her they have not received. Since then, Sandler could only walk on crutches. Gestapo Irena Sendler sentenced to death, but she was saved by Zegota organization which bribed the guard to one made her name in the list is already shot.

Thus, until the end of the war, Irena Sendler went into hiding. Much later, after the war, Irena Sendler said: "I could have done more, save more children ... and it's not done regret will follow me the rest of my life."

She died in 2008 at the age of 98 years, soon after the loss of the Nobel Peace Prize Committee has given US Vice President - Al Gore, lost the presidential election.

Irena Sendler life - it's very hard, but surprisingly beautiful story. The story of great love, the incredible courage and extraordinary valor.

Irena Sendler Quotes

I was taught as a child that if a person is drowning, it must be saved regardless of their religious or national affiliation.

We, those who save the children, not the characters. This statement I do not like. On the contrary, I am persecuted remorse because I did so little.

I still wear a sign on his body, which made me a German man. I was sentenced to death.

I'm the only one that has survived from the group of rescuers, but I want everyone to know that when I coordinated our activities, we had about 20-25 people. I did not do it alone.

More than half a century has passed since the hell of the Holocaust, but its specter still hangs over the world, and does not forget about yourself.

Every child who saved with my help and with the help of the wonderful secret messengers, who are no longer alive - the reason for my existence on earth, but not the reason for fame.

Heroes perform outstanding feats. What I did was not exceptional. It was in the order of things.

We watched the heartbreaking scene. The father agreed to send their children, but the mother does not. Grandmother hugging baby so tenderly and wept bitterly, saying: "I will not give up her grandson at any price ..." Sometimes we had to leave these families alone, without taking their child. I came to see him the next day and often find that all the inhabitants of the house were deported to death camps.

I was silent. I'd rather die than give our activities.

When war broke out, the whole of Poland drowned in a sea of ​​blood. But most of all it concerned the Jewish nation. And there were children who were hit the hardest of all. That's why we had to devote our hearts to them.

Words can not describe what it feels like when you go to their own penalty, and at the last moment you realize that you buy off her.

We and future generations must remember the human cruelty and hatred, which ruled those who surrendered their neighbors in the hands of the enemy, the hatred that pushed them to the murder ... My dream - to the memory of it has become a warning to the world, and humanity never again repeated the tragedy .

Source: adsence.kiev.ua

Tags

See also

New and interesting