Rumor has it that Gerard Depardieu regrets his decision to change citizenship and is eager to return to his homeland.

Mystery! What French actor moved to Russia and frothed at his mouth to prove that there is nothing better than a Russian passport? If the image of the fat man from Asterix and Obelix pops up in your head, you think in the right direction. But Where is Gerard Depardieu? Is he really living in Russia now?

Recently, the news appeared on the Internet that the Frenchman regrets his decision and he no longer needs Russian citizenship. Like he wants to go home, home. Whether this is true and where the funny hero of many comedy French films is located, we find out later in the article.

If you look on the Internet, you can be horrified by the variety of articles about Gerard Depardieu. It is not every day that a French actor decides he is Russian. So all Russian news channels feel compelled to write something intriguing about this person.

And it all started with the fact that the Frenchman wanted to get a Russian passport. On January 1, 2013, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree granting Gerard Depardieu Russian citizenship. An ordinary person can do this only after passing a lot of bureaucratic procedures and passing the appropriate exams. But this is not Depardieu's case.

As Putin himself put it, Gerard made a significant contribution to Russian culture and cinema. 4 days after the presidential decree, the actor officially received a Russian passport. By the way, as reported by the media, in the book was a lot of violations of the legislation of the Russian Federation. But who cares?

“I adore your country, your people, your history, your writers. I like to make films here where I work with actors like Vladimir Mashkov. I love your culture, your way of thinking. My father was a communist and listened to Radio Moscow. It's also part of my culture. I love your President Vladimir Putin very much and it is mutual. Russia is a country of great democracy, it is not a country where a prime minister could call a citizen of his country a miserable man.

It sounds very pathetic, but let’s be honest: everyone understands that there was some selfish purpose behind obtaining Russian citizenship. In fact, the Russian passport allowed the French actor not to pay taxes to the treasury of his state. At that time, these were huge sums, so it was profitable for Gerard to engage in lysooblasty in Russia. Moreover, he also hoped for a Russian pension.

Having received Russian citizenship, Depardieu opened a production center in Russia. On February 25, 2013, the actor became an honorary citizen of the Chechen Republic. Directly from the hands of Ramzan Kadyrov, he received the keys to a five-room apartment in Grozny.

At the same time, the Frenchman continued to do business in France, and planned to live in Belgium. Gerard's appetites are so great that he dreamed of obtaining citizenship in 7 more countries. Rumors of Russian citizenship have multiplied with incredible speed. 2 years after receiving it in the news there was information that the actor wants to get rid of the passport of the Russian Federation. But then it turned out to be a lie.

Moreover, Depardieu said that he was ready to sacrifice his life for Russia. He became persona non grata in Ukraine and was banned from entering the country for 5 years. In 2018, the man made a residence permit in Novosibirsk. According to the partners of the actor, it was necessary in order to start a legal grocery business in the city.

When Russia treacherously invaded Ukraine in February 2022, Depardieu denounced the actions of the Russian army and Putin in particular. However, his opinion about Russia itself has not changed. He still calls himself Russian. He also asks not to mix politics and acting. In general, he is for world peace and further on the list.

As soon as Gerard criticized the actions of the Russian Armed Forces, one of the Russian deputies proposed to deprive the actor of citizenship. They say that his statements undermine the authority of the authorities. And then the news that Depardieu allegedly wants to give up his Russian passport became viral on the Internet. However, we did not find worthy confirmation of this.

And it makes sense to do it, because the actor really saves monstrously large amounts of money when he pays taxes to the Russian, not the French treasury. Being “Russian” is very beneficial to him.

Tell me, what do you think about this and where is Gerard Depardieu now? Boldly share your thoughts in the comments!

Photo at preview and in article

Tags

See also

New and interesting