Will you be able to understand at first sight what these ingenious kitchen appliances are for?

The Russian writer N. Taffy wittily noted that it is laziness that moves humanity along the path of progress. To ease the housewives routine, we invent more and more new appliances for the kitchen. At the same time, some of them are so intricate that they will baffle even an experienced cook.

Reddit users post photos of their kitchen finds online. And thanks to the comments of polymaths, we have the opportunity to find out what these incomprehensible things are.

Kitchen Cutter for... something Reminiscent of either a rolling key, or a knife for pizza. But why an extra gear wheel? Moreover, it is shifted towards a relatively large one.

Whatisthisthing / Reddit Readers are divided. Some people think it’s a pizza knife. But very intricate. You'll ask him what spurs are for. Maybe it's for cowboys. Or for fans of Sergio Leone. Or maybe you need to cut the pizza by tilting the tool. To make pizza touch only a round blade.

There is another opinion. Like, the front blade cuts, and the rear wheel squeezes. For example, to keep something inside. It turns out that this is a knife for cutting something like pies with filling. In short, questions remain, and we hope for the help of those in the subject.

Mysterious object "What is this object in our kitchen?" We're not quite sure about his appointment, wrote one Reddit user.

Whatisthisthing / Reddit Well, buddy, I understand you very much. I'm lost in guesswork. I would venture to suggest that five parallel blades are designed to grind something. Like vegetables or greens. But the comments are more inclined to a different version. It looks like a dough cutter. They seem to grind the oil when cooking sand dough.

Tiny pan "What is this tiny pot that my husband inherited?" It has a removable lid with holes at the edges.”

Whatisthisthing/Reddit The answer was pretty quick. This is a device for making one egg poachot. Although the purpose of the holes and remains not fully understood.

Leaky spoons? “Stainless steel dining appliances with lamellae. About the size of a teaspoon. On the back it says “Stainless Steel, Japan”, but there are no other markings. We have already written about curved spoons that were released in the USSR. But there is a spoon with a photo, agree how to carry water with a sieve. What is it for?

Readers agreed that this device for lubricating corn oil in the cobs. They even found more detailed information. According to it, the set is designed for scooping oil and even distribution on the cobs of corn or other hot dishes. The design was patented by Hartman Manufacturing. And this cutlery is called the butterer.

Spoon the size of a tea, but unknown purpose

Ruthsb / Reddit Only the most enlightened cooks know it's a spoon for mint sauce. Through the slots drain excess vinegar.

Sometimes it is difficult to understand what a particular item of serving is needed for. They say that at the reception at the British Queen Yuri Gagarin was confused, seeing an abundance of spoons and forks. But Elizabeth was quick to reassure him. “I’m served lackeys, what you need,” she told the 27-year-old cosmonaut.

We, unlike Her Majesty, cannot rely on the lackeys out of hand. Let's try to find the answer ourselves. All-knowing Google says the photo is... a mustard shovel. That's how I've lived my life, and I've been smearing mustard all the time.

The Soviet Union ceased to exist thirty years ago. However, many of the things created at the time are still stored in our homes. The modern generation looks at them with a slight bewilderment. Still: to guess the name of household items of the Soviet era and even approximately assume what they were created for, it is not so easy. Therefore, we have prepared answers with detailed information about these mysterious artifacts from the grandfather closet.

Tags

See also

New and interesting