Isaac Asimov's predictions come true

I have loved Isaac Asimov’s books since childhood. I loved plunging into his fantastic worlds and forgetting everything. To be honest, it did not even occur to me that in his literature Asimov described many events that were soon to come true. Today I will talk about the most important predictions of the most famous science fiction writer in the world.

Isaac Asimov's book Asimov predicted many things. He did this not only through his own literature. He was repeatedly invited to interview well-known publications with a request to talk about Asimov’s assumptions about the future. Perhaps one of the most famous interviews took place about forty years ago. In 1984, Asimova was invited to The Star magazine. Everyone was curious about Isaac’s version of the future. The author was asked how he sees 2019.

What will humanity be most concerned about? Asimov highlighted the three most ambitious points: Nuclear war, computerization and space exploration. The first question really worries the whole world, because many powers have nuclear capabilities. Millions of people cannot sleep well because of this thought.

Computerization of the world has indeed taken place. However, this is more good than bad. Computer technology now helps us to keep abreast of events, as well as significantly facilitate our being and entertain us. Asimov warned that by 2019, people simply will not be able to live without computers. Well... This was the most accurate assumption of the author.

Isaac also said that thanks to computers, many jobs will disappear from the labor market. This work will be much faster and cheaper to do modern technologies. And the science fiction was right about that, too! Many jobs related to mechanical assembly of something, calculations and stationery now do machines. People have been pushed out of this job market. Computers make fewer errors, there is almost no human factor in working with them, and they do not have to pay!

He also predicted that computerization would affect education. True, the author’s prophecies were more fatalistic: he said that the profession of teacher would disappear completely. Fortunately, that didn't happen. However, we can still observe some level of computerization: for example, it manifests itself in distance learning. Children no longer need to be physically present at school.

Asimov also suggested that The environmental crisis will reach its climax by 2019. But he also said that humanity would find the tools to overcome this dilemma. About the first author was right, but the way to correct the difficult environmental situation on the planet we still have not found. Sorting garbage and reducing plastic use only slows the inevitable.

Isaac Asimov's predictions that have not yet come true
  1. Robotic house
    Asimov predicted that by 2019, robots will be in every home. If we consider a full-fledged robot coffee maker and robot vacuum cleaners, then the technology is indeed in every apartment. However, if we talk about full-fledged android assistants, then it is still a long way off.
  2. Mankind’s Successful Space Odyssey
    Fantast believed that by 2019 the level of our space exploration will be much higher than it is now. However, at some point, humanity stopped exploring the space around the Earth as actively as it was before. Maybe we'll come back to that.
  3. World peace
    Asimov believed that in 2019, humanity will finally realize the unproductiveness of wars and peace will reign on the planet. It was not about the idealistic views of the science fiction. It's just that he realized long ago that without cooperation, we just can't survive. Internecine struggle will not allow us to develop and will eventually lead to the end of all mankind.

I try to believe that the last point will also come true very soon. Perhaps it is only this faith that helps me not to lose heart in such a difficult time. What keeps you afloat? Perhaps Isaac Asimov's books?

Tags

See also

New and interesting