When I'm sad, I start reading, I've compiled a whole list of books that I can laugh at.

Imagine a night like this. You come back from work, have dinner, and then settle down with a cup of tea in your chair, while hiding in a soft blanket. What is missing in this beautiful picture? Of course, a good book. But she doesn't have to be sad. No, no. On such an evening, you need to get extremely positive emotions. And I wish it was funny. That is why you should read the following list. So, Best humorous books for the evening.

Peels Best humorous books by John Khmelevskaya “All red” View this post on Instagram

Posted by Reader's Diary (@dnevnikrezi)

Detectives are different. But the Polish writer Ioanna Chmelevskaya they are more than unique. Because no other work of this genre can cause so much laughter. "All Red" is imbued with selective humor and funny jokes that will be even funnier if you read them in company or to yourself in voice.

Graham Greene, Our Man in Havana View this post on Instagram

Publication from Reader's Diary (@bookswithlove_2022)

"Our Man in Havana" is a subtle satire and parody of typical spy stories. In the center of the plot unexpectedly for himself is Warmold, a seller of vacuum cleaners in Cuba. The native British government appointed him a resident of intelligence and began to send money for intelligence needs.

Financially bankrupt, Warmold begins to invent different stories and send them as reports to London to justify the funds requested. But what will this adventure lead to? In the end, will London believe all the fairy tales of a simple vacuum cleaner seller?

Terry Pratchett, The Guardian! Guards! View this post on Instagram

Publication by Chekhov Library (@les_lib)

The City Guard of the fictional city of Ankh Morpok is one of the most useless and unnecessary services. Since it has no more than a dozen people, and their powers are extremely limited. However, these guys have to deal with the regular appearance of a mysterious dragon in the night sky. In addition, to uncover the conspiracy and save Ankh-Morpok.

Like so many of Terry Pratchett's great works, "Guardian! Guardian!" is replete with select English humor. If you really want to get acquainted with a good humorous fantasy, we advise you to pay attention to this book and the rest of the works of the Flat World series.

Mikhail Zoshchenko, The Blue Book View this post on Instagram

Publication from Library - Branch No. 4 (@biblioteka_pogran4)

This collection of satirical novels about the life of Soviet people will be a wonderful outlet after a hard day's work. Since it is not for nothing that this work is included in all the lists called “Best humorous books”. The time-tested classic resembles a fun communal apartment, where there are all representatives of that time. And even despite the regular quarrels and some resentment between them, hope for a bright future breaks out between the lines of the author’s text.

Gerald Durrell, My Family and Other Beasts View this post on Instagram

Post by ABC-Atticus (@azbooka_inostranka)

“My Family and Other Beasts” is an autobiographical work about his childhood years spent on the Greek island of Corfu. It is there that the future zoologist first realizes his love for his younger brothers and determines his vocation.

But the story is not just about love for animals. In addition to the chapters on nature, most of the stories describe everyday life and amusing events that occurred in the author’s large family. And the humorous style and bright landscapes of the southern country create a magnificent impression that will brighten up any rainy evening.

Winifred Watson, One Day of Miss Pettigrew View this post on Instagram

Post by Irina (@eveline_moves)

So, London, 1930s. Unemployed 40-year-old governess Guinevere Pettigrew by chance gets a job with a young carefree actress Miss Lafoss. Thanks to this occasion, the main character has the opportunity to touch the world of bohemian and fashion. And also to find out what problems overcome the rich and powerful people. And as a result, radically change your life in just 1 day.

The story of a desperate woman quickly turns into the funniest and sweetest adventure you can find on the books. Also for more pleasure, we advise you to familiarize yourself with the very successful film adaptation of Miss Pettigrew Lives One Day 2008.

Terence Hanbury White, Sword in the Stone View this post on Instagram

Posted by Anasti Omnos (@omnos_books)

Everyone loves the legends of King Arthur, Excalibur, Merlin and the Knights of the Round Table. But what if you look at the life of a great ruler, starting from his childhood? When his name was not Arthur, but Wart. And instead of preparing for great things, he was the servant of another lord's son. One day, Warth meets Merlin, a wizard who knows more than any resident of the time. He also understands that Varth needs training, and takes it with great eagerness.

At first glance, a typical fairy tale about the formation of a legendary character is permeated with references to our reality. In addition, she kindly ridicules the cliché and romanticized idea of chivalric times.

We hope that our small list will appeal to you and give you many evenings for a pleasant reading. Do you have any of the above books on your shelves? How do you feel about humor in literature? What do you think are the best humor books?

Tags

See also

New and interesting