Father taught how to make measurements, if there is no ruler at hand, a universal cheat sheet

How to make measurements if you have nothing at hand that resembles a ruler? Since high school, I have learned at least two ways that have helped me in life. I’ll talk about them and other ways to measure something in today’s article. Some tricks my dad taught me, he was always inventive. Before you know the ways, think about how you would measure a dress if you didn't have a meter on hand.

In the lesson of work, the teacher showed how to measure the maximum length of the thread so that it does not get confused while sewing, and that it is enough. If you need to measure 1 meter of cloth or rope, take the end of the rope, wrap it around part of the hand from palm to elbow and back. The length of the forearm in humans on average is 46-50 cm. So it's about 1 m.

Interestingly, 1 phalange of the index finger is 2.5 cm. and the length of the thumb is 5 cm. If you need to measure 10 cm, fold your palm into a fist, the distance from the joint of the index finger to the joint of the little finger is just 10 cm. Use the picture below like a cheat sheet. Of course, each person has a different size of hands, but the difference is small. So, with approximate measurements, this method is just right. And it is better to measure your hand once for the sake of interest, to make measurements more accurate if necessary.

How to quietly choose the size of the ring for your beloved? Use the wrench. For example, the key on 13 is the size of the ring 15.5. This is the smallest size of a female ring.

To take measurements from clothes, any flexible object is suitable: tape, thread, rope, a patch of fabric and so on. Now put a centimeter scale on the subject. You can use a thread without a scale. And make measurements like this: OG - 1 thread, OT - 1⁄2 thread, and so on. This method is perfect for those who do not like to measure clothes in the store. The main thing is to have a thread with you.

My grandmother is a pro at knitting wool socks. To tie her socks, she winds the thread from her fist to her shoulder round. Exactly as many threads are needed for the initial set to knit with spokes, hook another set.

When I was wondering how much it costs to get a tattoo, I came across this description: “The price of a black tattoo for a figure of 20 cm sq (matchbox)”, – a matchbox is ideal for accurate measurements, since since the Soviet Union has a strictly regulated size: 50: 30: 10 mm.

The standard sheet A4 has a length of 29.7 cm and a width of 21 cm. To take measurements, any object in the house, the size of which you know for sure, is suitable: a bowl, a mailbox, a banknote and so on. But the real line of paper I learned to do in math class from simple sheet to cell. There was always a shortage of lines in the class, and the teacher suggested making a homemade one. Remember when we started a new paragraph by stepping back four squares into a notebook? Now, each cell is 5 mm. Just tag it.

The editorial board of any item has its own size. The measuring device can be bedding, which has standard dimensions, a chain whose length is indicated on a tag or a bank card. And measures such as an inch, arshin, sazhen were used even in Russia, when there could be no talk of a centimeter tape. People with their own hands measured distance, height, width and so on.

Tags

See also

New and interesting