Grandma gave grandson a dirty toolbox, he opened it when Grandma was in heaven

“I always spent my summer holidays at my grandmother’s farm. There we gathered together fresh vegetables in beds, mowed grass and grazed cows. While I was picking nuts to make shell boats for my soldiers, my grandmother always made my favorite soup. Speaking of his grandmother, the young man cannot hold back his tears. Liam told the story of his grandmother’s gift, which was the last and most valuable gift from his grandmother.

Little thin Agnes at 65 looked very fragile, despite the fact that every day she worked hard on her farm. The arrival of her ten-year-old grandson was the most joyful event of the year. When Liam couldn't visit her grandmother, she would buy her grandson a gift and board the train. She spent more time on the road than she did on the weekend with Liam.

Only a boy never appreciated grandma's gifts: At 10, I wanted to read comics, and my grandmother always gave me science fiction books. I thought they were too boring to read. And I just put all my grandma's books on the shelf without even opening them. I remember my grandmother saying you can't judge a book by its cover. When she saw my frowning face, she sighed easily as if she were upset. It made me a little ashamed that I did not appreciate her gifts, the guy admits.

I remember the day my grandmother came to visit us for the weekend. It was a heavy downpour and my grandmother got very wet in the rain.” Agnes stopped at the door and put a packaged gift on the porch to wipe her glasses off the drops. When the boy opened the door, the first thing he saw on the threshold was a box with tools, on which the packaging paper was soaked. The gift got a little dirty, and the boy immediately asked why the box was so dirty.
Agnes smiled shamefully and apologized for the kind of gift, but then added: "Don't you wonder what's inside?" Liam recalled a stack of boring books he had never opened and said he would open the drawer later. The boy did not want to upset his grandmother: “You better go home sooner, or you’ll catch a cold.”

After leaving the old woman, the boy hid the box on the highest shelf. When the grandma asked the grandson on the phone if he liked the gift, Liam replied that he had not opened it yet. Later, the grandmother called again and asked the same question, but the boy again found an excuse and changed the topic.

A week later, Liam waited for her grandmother's call to apologize. When she called, she told her grandson she was in the hospital. Grandma got sick. Liam's mother rushed to the hospital and sat by the old lady's bed all night. Grandma didn't wake up this morning.

When his mother told Liam the sad news, he couldn’t believe it. He kept crying and the first thing he remembered was a gift he never opened. At home, the boy first went to the shelf, where the long-forgotten box was dusting. When Liam opened the box, he saw it neatly folded soldiers and comics, and on top was a letter addressed to the boy.

“Dear Liam, a few months ago I received a disappointing diagnosis.” My life is coming to an end. Your parents know I'm sick, but I wanted to tell you in person. When you say such things out loud, I can't believe it, so I decided to write you a letter. To be honest with you, this may be the last gift I can give you.

I got tired faster and I feel like I won't see you again. I wanted to give you something special this time, so I put all your favorite things in a drawer. I'm sorry I didn't pack my present well, I can't go shopping like I used to. But this box means a lot to me, because it used to belong to your grandfather. I hope you enjoy the gift, and I hug you tightly, your grandmother Agnes.

The letter from his grandmother moved the boy, and Liam again became very sad. He couldn't remember what he was doing the day his grandmother brought him a gift. All that remains is his discontent and his sweet grandmother’s smile. Since her grandmother passed away, Liam visits her grave on her birthday. A guy brings flowers to his grandmother and reads her books aloud for a long time: “Grandma, your gifts are the best.” I wish I had spent more time with you.”

While we are small, we do not fully realize how important it is to cherish every day spent with relatives. And the earlier our loved ones leave us, the faster we become adults. Liam was too young to understand how much his grandmother loved him and why she gave him books instead of comics. This story is about the selfless love of old people for their children and grandchildren. The story that we understand the value of moments is too late.

Tags

See also

New and interesting