Why wash strawberries in salt water

At the end of May comes the season of strawberries, the first and most beloved of many summer berries. The taste and benefits of strawberries from the garden are incredible! But every barrel of honey has a spoonful of tar. How to wash strawberries to avoid unpleasant surprises?

I confess, like everyone else, used to wash strawberries only under running water.

I always thought of warnings as fairy tales until a video on TikTok convinced me otherwise.

Vegetables, fruits and berries have recently often been treated with a large number of pesticides designed to prevent pest contamination. But such measures do not always save the harvest from uninvited guests.

In our country, strawberry berries (garden strawberries) are most often damaged by kivsak - a pest that looks like a thin white worm, but is actually a centipede. They like to eat sweet berries aphids, snails and slugs, caterpillars and thrips.

Earlier we told how to choose tasty, safe and healthy strawberries on the market. But what if it's already in your fridge?

@callmekristatorres WAIT FOR IT... Still trying to think happy thoughts today. ##fyp ##foryou ##strawberrieswithbugs ##bugsinstrawberries ##rednoseday ##got2bhome

Original sound – callmekristatorres

TikTok users have made a disturbing discovery. The girl with the nickname @callmekristatorres filled the bowl with room temperature water, added a few spoons of sea salt, put strawberries and waited about 30 minutes.

She did not see any insects on the surface of the water.

But when I looked at the strawberries, I noticed that some of the “seeds” on its surface were moving!

Under the influence of salt from strawberries, small worms began to crawl out, which live inside the fetus. Experts say that they can be the offspring of fruit flies.

@lavender...lush critter strawberries?##fyp ##foryou ##foryoupage ##strawberrieswithbugs

Original Sound - Babyadrianne

A similar experiment was conducted by TikTok user under the nickname @lavender...lush. Users of the social network were unpleasantly surprised to find secretive tenants in their favorite berries. Many did not expect to eat strawberries along with insect larvae for many years.

Therefore, parents should be extremely careful. When their child eats berries, it is better to carefully examine them. Whether to wash strawberries with salt, everyone decides for himself. But, as they say, it is God’s will.

Many people wonder if strawberries were salty after this procedure. The girl in the video claims to have washed her thoroughly again in clean water. After that, the son ate strawberries. The salt was "a bit felt" but the strawberries were "ok."

Well, how to wash strawberries to get rid of uninvited guests, we now know. The other side of the question is pleasing and comforting: perfect glossy fruits on the shelves, in which one chemistry, no worm will eat. But strawberry with a worm is the most natural and pure product.

Tags

See also

New and interesting