The Internet is now in the country

So wonderful to break away from the everyday city life and enjoy nature. But even in these happy moments, when gadgets and the Internet of things go to the second and third plan, it is necessary to have a plan "B" if I call and ask for somewhere to connect and something to watch. Of course, the Internet. Well, if the mobile operator deployed in your locality modern data network that meets quality and speed.

But I have next (in the reception area) was the only EDGE with questionable speed and high latency.

I began to pick up the decision, it was in the beginning of 2015. After studying the terrain maps and coverage areas of mobile operators, inspired by the experience realscorp from his post, decided to use a bunch of: a parabolic reflector, irradiator 3G, modem 3G, router c Wi-Fi. It is necessary to obtain a complete and versatile solution sought to this. The target 3G base stations were near (4-5 km), but concealed by the terrain, others were very far. Wanted experiments.

Starter kit assembled like this:

• Router Mikrotik RB411U, b/u:

Attracted the presence of the SIM card slot, miniPCI, miniPCIe. I wanted to play.

• Mikrotik R52, used sold together with the router:

It was planned that this card will broadcast Wi-Fi on the site

• Ericsson F3507g, b/u:

Took it out of the hcl.

• Normal 12V power supply 2A without housing, were bought at the radio store.
  • AX-2000 OFFSET feed offset parabolic reflector:

• The reflector diameter of 0.6 m:

• Cable Assembly to connect the antenna feed and the pigtail from the modem. N-Type (male) N-Type (male): made myself
Router with power supply Packed in thermobox Tyco, 220V AC led on the connector. The antenna and the box with the router is secured on a wooden electric pole, below the wires. Above the point on the site was not found.

The first test was conducted in winter, truckers less, the base station is less loaded. The signal strength and the network settings are looking through Winbox utility on page PPP Info.

To the nearest BS has done it, no result, the relief of stopping. After a few days of adjustment, replacement SIM-cards from different operators, was caught a signal from the BS operator MegaFon. Only now the BS has not previously been part of the plan due to its remoteness. After another based on the height map, it turned out that this is the only option with a more or less direct visibility to BS with 3G.

The operator selected BS is selected, the signal is (-96dbi), even the link went up, but, of course not.

Work above mistakes:

1. The signal is very weak, you may need to increase the diameter of the reflector.
2. There is no possibility to restart 3G miniPCIe modem, if you need to reset it. In RB411U is not provided restart miniPCIe on nutrition. You could move some — I did not.
3. The Mikrotik R52 card for me personally is not enough for a stable connection and the routers in the area (RB951-2n in WDS mode).
4. The "breath" of the base station is reflected at the level of the signal is stronger than expected. The best value was -96dbi, the worst-113dbi.

Purchased another set:

• The router is Mikrotik RB951G-2HnD, b/u:

Two internal antennas — what you need, have USB Power Reset. The body was removed for installation in thermobox

• Modem MegaFon M150-1 (Huawei E3276), b/u:

Has two connectors for connecting an external antenna. Modem razlozi and is asking for the future

• Reflector diameter 130cm: Worried about windage, it is made of steel. On the aluminum as it is clamped in the pocket
  • AX-2000 OFFSET MIMO 2x2, offset feed parabolic reflector:

In order to make maximum use of the capabilities of the modem

• Cable assemblies are a little different now. N-Type (male) — SMA (male). I had to buy a industrial manufacturing. Pigtails are also new. The second third of the budget went to kalecki, but without them anywhere
All set into place, plugged in. He awaited the moment of truth. Start!

Results:

1. The signal level from -up to 89dbi-93dbi
2. The Internet is, ping 100-200ms. Seats 300-1000 MS resolution. The auto power BS visible in the "country days" especially.
3. Now you can watch online video from a home media center to stream 1.5 Mbps to testify — norms. RDP works satisfactorily when the BS is not overloaded.

Here are some photos:

Somewhere out there, in the distance, at the distance of 24 km is the village of X, there is

A pole mount does not inspire confidence at first glance. Works without any adjustments and alterations for 1 year. The post I blew

My "thermobox". All fit in a small package. Despite the unstable input voltage, the power supply alive. The antenna and pigtail N-Type (female) left from RB411U

The modem works in 3G mode

Connectors during all the time a little oxidized, but the loss is not caused by

The plate weighs a lot. One it was very difficult to install. System used units :-)

Neither cold nor heat issues caused by extreme temperatures was observed

Once the system is operational, it is time to optimize it. It is necessary to optimize the monthly costs. The Internet is used 10 days a month, more for fun than for work. To pay for the packages is not wanted, especially not know when more when less.

Cost optimization:

Caught the eye is the Yota. In the summer of 2015 and to our city came a wave of billboards and commercials on TV. Operator — virtual, BS Megaphone. It is known that the most profitable unlimited for a smartphone, it costs 250R/month. The rate selected. It remained for the software "solution", or rather, beyond the limitations of Iota. Unlimited tariff, but with a large number of amendments:

1. SIM card is activated on the smartphone and, like, registers the imei.
2. Internet sharing is blocked at no extra charge.
3. And traffic, of course, all scanned, and "unnecessary" in the opinion of the operator is truncated.

Solution describe in a few words they found on the Internet, the author, of course, not me:

1. How to change the imei of your modem, you can Google. As far as I know, changing imei is a crime. Do it myself and do not recommend to others;
2. We have RouterOS, go to IP-Firewall-Mangle, add a rule in the Postrouting chain to Change the TTL action. My mobile phone is usually 64.
Now we do not have a router, and a smartphone;
3. Raise the encrypted VPN channel with the connection point, where there is a normal channel. The channel width had little effect. Now there is any traffic. published

P. S. And remember, only by changing their consumption — together we change the world! ©

Join us in Facebook , Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki

Source: geektimes.ru/post/275560/

Tags

See also

New and interesting