As a man who spent half a century in prison, it responds to Modern Technologies

A year ago, Otis Johnson was released from prison where stayed in '44 for attempting to murder a policeman. When he was sentenced, he was 25. The reality, he remembers, he was left in the distant 60s. In the bag - $ 40, a pair of bus tickets, so a bunch of old photos

The young prisoner of the typewriter:

The picture on the memory of Otis - the far left in the top row

Now he is 69, and outside the prison - a whole new world, bizarre "future", where he seemed to come to a time machine

Together with the operator of the English-language television channel "Al Jazeera" Johnson walked in contemporary New York, marveling at the current technology and all that millions of ordinary people take for granted.

The first time in half a century later in the subway, he, in his own words, experienced culture shock. Firstly, on the prices: where before missing a quarter, you now need to pay a dollar and it is still the least. Second, behind a few dozen years, Otis did not immediately realize that the majority of the usual for him things have become rare or even extinct. For example, the phone booths.

"I have noticed that almost all the passers-by say to yourself. Then he looked closer and saw that they had some things in their ears. I thought, Surely the all round as tsereushnikov and FBI agents? This is the only thing that occurred to me, because in the 60's there were only agents with wires in

ears. "

Even more Johnson was surprised at how all immersed in their gadgets, so do not look around. "Some are absolutely not looking. I'm trying to figure out how they do it. »

For him, a novelty not only technology, but also the small everyday things. "Now a completely different meal. I wander to the shops, both in the museum, I examine all these crazy package, want to try a lot »

Especially attractive look ready snacks and drinks most incredible colors: "It's funny is, it's tempting to buy!»

"With such a variety of hard to choose what you really want. For example, peanut butter. It turns out that there is, where the same bank butter and jelly! I've never seen anything like it. »

Although Otis was in prison his best years, he does not feel bitter and completely absorbed opened his new life. It is a pleasure even just to look at the passers-by or listen to human speech in the bus. "It's great to get back into society. I do not think that the society is to me something has to. Instead of having to deal with the past, I think about the future, go ahead. Here and survive. »

Loading ... Loading ...
Liked? Share with your friends!
Loading ... Loading ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting