Excursion to the largest telescope in Eurasia

To get to this place in the mountains of Karachay-Cherkessia, I would like a very long time. And finally, my little dream - to see in action Large Telescope Special Astrophysical Observatory in Russia, - has come true!

Of course, I had heard about the large-scale telescope construction process which lasted 15 years, but when I got close to him, and this is a unique structure did not fit into my lens "fisheye" was really surprised! However, a few good shots I did - and our group was lucky we have been to the underground part of the observatory, and I took a few pictures from the air, which want to offer readers of the blog.
36 photos

In the valley of the Big Zelenchuk about Lower Arkhyz in the 60s of the last century was built Research Institute, Special Astrophysical Observatory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The main platform for observation became a place at an altitude of 2100 meters near the mountain Pastukhov.

Here is the Big Telescope Alt-azimuthal (BTA), with a diameter monolithic mirror 6 meters.

To the left of the telescope - a special crane, which was used in the construction of the tower and the telescope.

The height of the dome of the telescope - 50 meters, it is made of aluminum.

Diameter of the dome - about 45 meters. The shutter is moved upward in the center, providing follow-up. The dome itself at the same time rotate around its axis.

This kind of opens from the top of the dome.

Go inside.

In this hall tour tell the history of the observatory, what she was doing. The decision to build a six-meter telescope with a mirror was made in 1960. A few years went on design and construction, including more than three years to make mirrors, and in 1975, the observatory was put into operation.

Climb the stairs to the room where the telescope.

Dimensions telescope amazing. What you see in the photo, it is lower circular platform on which the mirror is fixed. This machine weighing 650 tons can move smoothly on its axis.

The light from the mirror is collected, concentrated and reflected into the upper telescope part, wherein the primary receiver is located. The focal length of the telescope as a result - 24 meters! But if you use an additional mirror that throws light back, and then one side of the focus, the focal length is increased to 180 meters!

Leaf dome closed.

We were lucky when we opened the dome and telescope show the work in action! At the bottom of the mechanisms that open the flap.

The dome, by the way, inside the hollow, you can climb the stairs to the upper point of the telescope.

The view from the telescope.

The dome you can climb on special ladders. Some of our group even made it

Telescope silently slowly unfolds.

Leaf mirror slowly revealed.

Earlier in the upper part, reminiscent of a glass, sat a man who receives a signal. Now it is done by electronics. A signal is transmitted to the working area.

If you think that the "glass" to humans is small, then yes, you are right

After the demonstration of the telescope we went down to the lower levels to see which devices to keep things running.

The telescope is fixed to the slewing platform with a nine vertical axis. The upper part of the platform we have seen above - is a circle with a diameter of 12 meters, while below it goes into a spherical ring which acts as a bearing.

Spherical ring rests on supports fluid friction, three hard and three spring-loaded.

We get down to the floor below. Here is the rotational drive. This two-wheel drive for tracking objects in two planes.

Because support the telescope rests on oil, for its lack of motion of a small engine, in 1 kW. In the photo, however, did not he, and the installation in the next room.

We go down even lower. This lower bearing block which is fixed axis.

The foundation of the telescope separated from the common foundation of the tower to avoid unnecessary vibration.

Then we got into the control room telescope. Hence the open - closed all the doors and devices.

Hardware, where observers controlled equipment.

Lounge staff. Here has its own kitchen

BTA has remained the largest telescope in the world since 1975, while 18 years later it is not surpassed Keck in the United States. Now it remains the largest telescope on our continent, and to conduct research on it is written to the queue.

Near the observatory built hotel for scientists. After work, watching the stars, night falls

Source

Tags

See also

New and interesting