Faces of war: "The Black Death" Duska Zavaliy

Evdokia N. Zavaliy was born May 28, 1926 (according to other sources - 1924) in the village of New Bug Novobugsky district of Mykolayiv region. Discrepancies in the year of birth are due to the fact that in some encyclopedias Set in 1924, and in a number of publications are referred to the words of the debris, which has repeatedly stated that during the beginning of the war it was not yet 16.

For some unknown reasons we name the only woman who commanded a platoon of Marines during World War II, did not get to the pages of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia, where the information sought to be checked carefully. We have no reason not to trust a reputable Evdokia N., but the memory of man, alas, is not perfect, but because there is confusion ...

Occupants respectfully called her Frau schwarzer Tod - «Mrs. Black Death", meaning black jackets were in her subordinate Marines and their own uniforms. Its the same pripechatali Tale expression "Duskin platoon." Maybe not very polite, but its in the board and the sounds gently.
Battle your way to the girl Mykolayiv beginning in July 1941 with the voluntary assistance to the wounded soldiers of the Red Army. Soon became a medical orderly. "I learned to be administered to the wounded tetanus toxoid, and much more that charge only experienced nurses" - recalls Zavaliy.

For the salvation of the commander received the Order of the Red Star. Bag nurse she changed to automatic when her eyes shot to death struck lieutenants raises his men to attack. Young and sonorous voice Zavaliy lifted him into the company of the attack.
During the fierce battles for Budapest in February 1945, the Marines a few days in a row unsuccessfully tried to get through to the headquarters of the fascist dictator of Hungary, Admiral Miklos Horthy. To get to the castle, approaches that have been mined, helped savvy. Soldiers of the 83rd Marine Brigade, which included entrusted second lieutenant platoon Zavaliy, examined every corner and found a sewer manhole underpass.
But the scouts reported that the dungeon through which you can get to the castle, there is such an unbearable stench from which actually suffocate. The company commander Kuz'michev recalled that among the captured trophies have 18 pillows with oxygen.

Many years after the war Evdokia Zavaliy recalled: "miscalculated that it is necessary to go to the fourth well, and decided to take the risk. My platoon was walking ahead of company - one pillow for two, doing the saving breath and gave the neighbor. Collector appeared narrower than expected, were bent, feet mired in stinking mire. The second well, heard a roar and clang. Gently pushed the lid and immediately shut down - on top the whole street crowded with tanks and armored vehicles. Lord, I thought, and what awaits us in the fourth well? It's stinking dungeon can become our common grave enough to throw a couple of grenades! The fourth pit stop platoon. Heart pounding, but up there, it was quiet. So, correctly calculated ».
Before leaving upstairs quietly removed the guard. By surprise Fritz offered no resistance. Came to the rescue squadron and other units began to take floor by floor, and soon completely cleared from the Nazis castle and surrounding neighborhoods. The most valuable trophy were operational maps and general, who, according to the blockages "looked at us like ghosts, unable to understand what a miracle we were in the rear of his troops».
"They called me. Came to the headquarters dirty as hell, reeks of me from a mile away. Major Kruglov by pinching his nose with a handkerchief, turned to me, "reported as captured German general!". And suddenly gave me a German pistol "Walter" - bad, you see, searched his guys. "Frau rusish black commissioner! Gut! Gut! "I stared at the political department of eyes, they nod - take. Then the guys my name inscription me on this gun did - shared their memories platoon commander blockages. - After that surgery, I had one thought - how to wash off the mud. We went to some local perfume shop, and I began to pour into the pot all that came to hand, and then poured it all over. Since then, the spirit of spirits I can not stand! »
For this operation Evdokia Zavaliy was awarded the Order of the Red Banner.
Woman buried twice. Under the Belgorod-Dniester, when the night crossed the estuary to capture and hold the bridgehead until the arrival of the main forces. The boys lost their commander during the offensive, when it was thrown blast. When he awoke, Evdokia saw as enemies finish off our wounded. She miraculously gave herself when her foot was stuck a bayonet - Checks whether alive. At dawn bleeding platoon commander picked up by local residents. So her name first appeared on a mass grave in Belgorod-Dniester.
The second time Evdokia Zavaliy buried already in Bulgaria. Her name inscribed on the monument. When 25 years later she came to Burgas as an honorary citizen of the city, one of the women during a meeting with the townspeople learned Evdokia N. and ran to her with tears: "My daughter! You're alive! ».
Guard Lieutenant Evdokia Zavaliy participated in the defense of the Caucasus, in the battle for the Crimea, Bessarabia, on the Danube, in the liberation of Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary, Austria, Czechoslovakia.

After the war, the girl gave direction to study at a military school, but four wounded and two contusions made themselves felt. In 1947, she was discharged and went to Kiev. But after the war, it was "a long time in the night went on the attack. Screamed so that the neighbors were frightened. A grandmother prayed and told my mother: "This is an unclean spirit goes out of it!" - Recalls Evdokia Nikolaevna. Gradually, life is getting better. Evdokia was married and had two children. Became a grandmother of four grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union Evdokia N. Zavaliy continued to do the same than before: "After the war, has traveled many cities, military units, ships and submarines - all told about my troop platoon. She has performed in schools, so that children know the truth, and did not grow Ivanov, not mindful of kinship. And now go, and if the name is not fed power. In August last year, brought from Sevastopol 30 sets of vests and jackets for children from 104 schools in the Forest-Vodice, where happy to go every year on May 9. A September 1, 2007 the school was named after solemnly fascist thug Roman Shukhevych. Do it now my truth? ... ".
Evdokia Zavaliy died in Kiev in just four days before the 65th anniversary of the Great Victory.

Tags

See also

New and interesting