Manager US 911 told about his work

Emergency Dispatcher 911 is considered one of the most stressful jobs in the world. Manager is very lucky, if the work is "give" to it only depression, cases of post-traumatic syndromes and emotional breakdowns because of errors. Agree, it's hard to stay calm when the person on the other end of the handset wants to kill his family and put a bullet himself. In this photo essay she described her work at the American dispatcher 911. Getting a job manager service 911, I expected that I would have to listen to all sorts of crazy things to help people and remain unruffled, calm, serious and discreet. Imagine my surprise when I learned that ...
Most of the calls that come into the emergency services are not associated with emergencies
If you are brought up properly, you should be aware that dial the emergency number is necessary only in extreme cases. However, I want to tell you the bad news: many people, parents and / or television raised properly. They often call 911 without any reason. Statistics show that 75% of calls received by the emergency services are absolutely not connected with threat to life, health and property.
One woman called us and said that her boyfriend had stolen her a thing and threatens her with violence. She ended the conversation, but forgot to press the "end a call", apparently thinking that I will. However, according to the rules, we have no right to interrupt the first connection. In the tube, I heard the girl said her boyfriend that she slandered him, and now he will be great trouble with the police. "Ready!", - She said to him. Subsequently, she was arrested for false alarm, but the punishment for this kind of action - an extremely rare case.
In Chattanooga (Tennessee) is one of the largest freshwater aquarium in the world, where there are very strict rules of conduct: the visitors are often thrown out for swearing and "flirting" with the seals. And then all offended and insulted people call 911 and complain about violation of their rights stipulated in the First Amendment to the US Constitution. Sorry, of course, but it is not within our competence.
And just recently, we phoned one woman and asked to come clear the driveway to her house from snow, because she lives with a disabled son, who could not leave the garage to work.

Time your call means a lot
When we do not have enough people, we have to constantly be on the workplace. We can not even even absent himself for a moment in the toilet, not to mention the full break. In addition to the 911 employees of bad weather there. No matter what happens on the street - a storm, rain, snow, at work, we should be under any circumstances.
The second shift runs from two o'clock to ten o'clock in the morning and is considered the most tense, because at this time on the job usually left alone inexperienced newcomers, managers, and which itself would not have prevented aid from the outside. So, do not be surprised if the cries of "Here around the fire, oh god, the bees! No, not the bees! Arghhblgg! "In the handset, you will hear disappointing" Just be patient, sir, this is my first time. "
Fear and excitement for human
One day we received a call from a woman who reported that her going to rob. Near her home she was armed criminal; I sent her a police car and asked to do nothing and remain calm. And the fear of the hair on his head stood on end because I knew that at any moment in the tube could hear a sound of broken glass and the desperate cries of the woman.
It was the most emotional event of my career. I went to her house a patrol officer, who in just a few minutes told me that he had arrived at the scene. I asked the woman to open the door and go outside to meet him. She left the house and, looking around, said she sees no one on the street. I asked the officer where he is, and it turned out that he had lied: it was not even close to the house next to a poor woman who was nearly trapped by the robber. Understandably, she was frightened and confused; all I could do - is to ask her to come back into the house and lock the door. I ought to say to her, "police officer exposing you to danger, and you have to sue him in court", but instead I assured her that he was there, looking around, and repeat this fable as long as the officer Humpty Dumpty already not really arrived on the scene.
As soon as she hung up the phone, I told your manager what happened and then went outside and cried. And all because ...

This work injures mentality more than you think
Most of my colleagues with whom I talked at work, sitting on antidepressants. I started to take "Paxil" in April 2011. That month was killed in the performance of one of our sergeants, and shortly before the statewide Alabama rolled powerful tornado that claimed the lives of many people in Tuscaloosa. And now remember any accident that you had experienced in his life. At first you probably in shock, well then, terrible pictures gradually began to be forgotten, until eventually you have not returned to normal. The controller 911 of the emergency of the normal state simply does not happen. Every day he has to deal with a huge number of various disasters and misfortunes that have plagued him, greatly undermining the psyche. Among other things, there is always a chance that one day, taking a call in the receiver you will hear the voice of a loved one, as it was with me.
In the 911 call from the father of my husband and he said that his wife, allegedly began a heart attack. Fortunately, everything worked out, but I'm after a long time could not calm down.
So, yes, emergency dispatchers are at risk to get PTSD than anyone else.

This work teaches you to distinguish good from bad
Everyone has their own concept of an emergency. Some people call emergency services in order to learn how to do artificial respiration and chest compressions before the arrival of the baby dying ambulance; others are gaining on the phone 911 because Skrufi, dog, forced work in the house alarm. In both situations you need to keep yourself in hand, although in the latter case, and I want to say a couple of owners Skrufi kind words.
One day I took a call from a man who said that he, apparently, started a heart attack. Talking to people, we need to explain all the calm, unruffled voice, so as not to aggravate the situation. I said that to him already rides an ambulance and he hung up. After some time, the paramedics told the guy at the time of their arrival was already dead. He was standing in line at the supermarket Walmart, when he suddenly became ill. I still can not understand why no one helped him around because there were so many people ?!
Later, I was pretty drunk and cried all night, and before that for the rest of change I had to explain Todderiku adult male opening the cover with child protection on a plastic jar of pills.
Job dispatcher emergency full of tragedies, but perhaps the most greatest of them - it is impossible for a good phone crashed head person who calls 911 for stupid little things.

Source: www.cracked.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting