The opening of the park "Highline" (19 photos)

A few days ago in New York was a long-awaited event - opened for public access Highline Park, divided into the former railway viaduct.
_s_a_v_v_a_ writes:
"Once upon a time, in the 1930s on the West side of Manhattan built aboveground load branch railway - High Line - to bring up and take away all the good directly to / from factories and warehouses.
And then gasoline prices have fallen, the highway began to build factories in New Jersey and moved an iron branch was not needed. "
When he was operating at full speed Highline looked

I continue to quote _s_a_v_v_a_:
"By the end of the 90s the rest of the High Line plot completely rusted and overgrown. As a result, from 36 to 13 chtol streets between houses, condominiums and galleries here was such a thing

Climb to forbidden, but some spit on bans and still making their way back to catch the police and were paid the fines.
"Then in 1999 there were enthusiasts - Friends of the High Line - which the town hall sawed sawed, and have permission to make a park. They took the architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro, gardeners Piet Oudolf, and volunteers with the rake and the day before yesterday opened the first piece of the park & ​​quot ;.
Naturally, having heard about this, I immediately ran back, despite the bad weather, along with the recently arrived murakambu. For the first time in my practice, I led the visitors to the city to tour the place where he had never been. What I saw exceeded my wildest speculation. Somehow, I very much fear that there really will clean the rails, so climbing the overpass sighed with relief:

The rails are not only removed, and planted directly in the path trees grass and flowers, with backlit

In one section of the park right on the rails put beds on wheels. They can be moved together to roll the big companies, and as you can and push to individual farmers was also used well. Here they are:

Close to the northern tip of Pier Park is gradually becoming almost a continuous green carpet

Now that's reminiscent of Highline period of abandonment:

At the moment, work is not yet finished
Will soon open another section, a length of about a dozen city blocks. Wow I was pleased today, that's great! Well done. Beautiful colors and even smells with lethal force. The only drawback - no single cafe or let the bar. But I think this will come soon. In the next post - kind of city streets from the overpass.

via budovskiy.livejournal.com

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting