Chernobyl 1986. The story of a liquidator

Writes av-strannik:

I decided to scan and upload photos of Chernobyl zone, and write that in the recall. That is to say, for the anniversary.

We arrived at Chernobyl in mid-August 1986. By this time, the reactor was "pacified" the threat of "nuclear explosion" is excluded, the threat was minimal thermal explosions, emissions were out of the reactor was not even a vapor flows.

All of the most dangerous work has already been done by the liquidators. The photo clearly visible concrete pumps machines (then a rare plant for the USSR) and Concrete tankers, among them the white box, there sheltering motorists. Booth lead, it weakens the level of radiation. These drivers - heroes - or recklessness, or out of ignorance. They were paid five times the salary and promised to "Zhiguli" without waiting, I'm afraid, a few of them the "Zhiguli" managed to get in the place of the photographer was 2p / h, the driver's seat, at the base of the sarcophagus - I do not know, but I think - at least 20 p / h, i.e. could safely operate for 1 hour, which is unrealistic in the circumstances. Still, "our people" chasing after big money and "Zhiguli" - leaving their dosimeters in a "clean zone" to their "chemists" are not deducted from the "hot zone" ahead of time. That is the paradox of Soviet times - "Lada" - the price of life. In the photo below - the liquidators in black overalls and white caps
down the stairs. Very much of a chance that they're gone ...

Sarcophagus. His heroically built to protect against new releases. Money and health nemeryannom throw it away. There are two views on this matter. First, the collapse left about 194 tons of fuel (200 tons), and the sarcophagus was needed. Second, the beginning of its construction all the fuel has burned out, ie Such protection is not needed (this opinion was expressed in the magazine "Youth" to the 20th anniversary of the accident one of the health physicists, based on personal experience). If the second view is correct, then the whole strategy of elimination was wrong, as a mistake today's decision to build yet another sarcophagus over the old.

Mushrooms. How was your first fear of the environment, people are drawn to the exotic, apples and mushrooms. By that time there were good foreign devices, allowing to measure the degree of radioactive contamination not only gamma rays, but beta and alpha. Measurement of fungi showed - the excess above the general background - small, washed and fried better. When the smell of fried mushrooms echoed in the dorm - and pulled the most cautious, all two huge bag package picked ceps grind at a time. Most of us do not let go for mushrooms.

Curiosity. I wanted to take a picture on top of the reactor. I go to the airport, no protection, on the turntable, trailer on the edge of the field. In trailer - people helicopter. Who it? Photographer, I want to remove the reactor from the top. Go to the yellow chopper, they often fly around the object. I went, I ask to take. You're out of your mind, we are forced to send, and you yourself climb better than we sfotkatsya, we have no pictures of the trip. Sfotkatsya crew. When the pictures are? Tonight I will do. Well, come back tomorrow, hire you over the reactor. He came through the day before could not. Where yellow pinwheel? And you why - I ask suspiciously. He brought the children pictures, they were promised a ride above the reactor. Crashed yesterday guys (How? Approach, a gust of wind, fell on the tail meters 50 - ti. Alive? Alive! Are in the medical unit, turntable clad lead sheets, manage complex, got off easy. Yeah, they told me just to this flight was invited, I could not have been on duty. Lucky you. Photos are guys pass. Interest in the flight I took.

Medicine. We have 50 people had their own doctors and paramedics. Before leaving underwent a medical examination on her some "derailed" health. In the area of ​​blood was taken twice in the past month, were given iodine, a multivitamin. Water is carried from the kitchen clean zone in jars, drinking in the boxes in the hallway stood a bottle of "Essentuki" and "Borjomi».

Protection against radiation. The post at the entrance to the hostel with the DP-5, all sniffed, "dirty" sent out "to wash." Home Protection: Respirators RM-2 and "petals", change of clothes (shirt and pants) every day, pomyvka (decontamination) every day, "sniffing" jackets and pants. Decontamination (pomyvka with soapy water), our technical means. Windows dorms are closed, air is FVUstanovkoy, 100 liter drums - Filters.

Radiation survey instruments. There was only one, my dear DP-5. Others - not. He stuck out from the car and from the turntables, and then manually record readings in a notebook. All the time, all confused. We send a group of health physicists from various departments - and averaged readings! There was a laboratory instrument from Leningrad, who could explore vane strip 200 meters, with a chopper and chopped it circles over the area, and from the testimony recorded by hand. I do not know whether there is now remote radiation survey instruments? Apparently, the troops were going to send forward "blind».

And a few more pictures. I was only 30 years old. I am fond of photography, even a couple of shots at some show any prize won. But there were pictures and for themselves. As now say "to classmates."

Kakto declared - came with a concert Alla Pugacheva. Then, for the Soviet people it was a megastar. We arrived at the UAZ - loaf, sat down on the fifth row, there were no tickets. The people, on arrival filled all the surrounding space and the roof of the car, our UAZ, incidentally, is pressed through the entire roof. Pugacheva was with Kuzmin, singing - wonderful. It is curious: she sang the song "invite a lady to dance ..." and shill on everyone's dance, no one came, shy! Barely Alla pulled gallant guy in black with kombeza tankistskimi tabs. A photograph with Pugacheva is something I can not find ...

Pugacheva performed in Cape Verde, so-called zone "White Steamer" - river cruise ships, about 10 vessel, were approached and were used for the Moscow officials - the "clean" zone in the neighborhood.

Well, that's 25 years of the accident, sent a gift: a thermos bottle of vodka and a prayer Optina elders.

via av-strannik LJ

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting