One day in Los Angeles

Today I will talk about his first day in the United States - in Los Angeles. In my plans to visit Disneyland, explore the city center, stroll through the poor neighborhoods of East Los Angeles and the famous Hollywood Boulevard and Beverly Hills.

All my impressions of this city and of this country are the first (I was not the first in the US and had no opportunity to compare different parts of them). In addition, the last day I flew out of Sydney, which is a model city inhabited by a model of the Australian nation.
via

The first view from the window - Hollywood Boulevard and stars with the names of celebrities. In Los Angeles, I have been waiting for housing problems, as small hotels in Hollywood are filled, and stop at the Hilton or in a motel 30 miles from the city, I could not afford. The solution became a wonderful hostel with bunk for $ 30 and the company of American youth, arrived to storm Hollywood.

Great guys, but painfully handsome and with a limited range of interests, unfortunately. Well, they will be successful in the movie and the role of Superman. I am also here are the morning muscular negros in the soul hurt. Therefore, American breakfast, and fresh air.

Meals from the station "Hollywood Hills" to "Seventh Central" - in neboskrebnuyu part of the city. US metro ... well, like every Sunday morning subway transports eccentrics, working with night shifts, spree youth. Americans are a civilized nation and therefore do not like to get into training for an unknown photographer, so many things have to words.

The city center is deserted. Is rare tramp wake up on the sidewalks. But on this point later - when he will fill the inhabitants of Los Angeles.

In the meantime, I get in the bus to Disneyland. Here the first surprise of the day. Who do you expect to see in the expression of "Los Angeles - Disneyland" Sunday morning. I, too: young happy family, happy kids, tourists ... the bus dozen morose Mexicans and I and one Native American. I look at this man and I understand: in front of me the reincarnation of Hunter S. Thompson, or in the worst case of Charles Manson wannabe. A man breaking the drug. What is he doing! He undresses, throws things on the floor, dressed again, remove their shoes, lubricate the legs cream swathes of toilet paper, pulls the white socks! Now he pulled out a pistol gun and here we cover everything! However, Well it pre-empt. Mexicans complain to the driver at the stench emanating from the feet of a madman. Mexican driver politely asked to pull his shoes, but the madman back pokes him in the face tattoos on the heel (something like our "For Airborne"). For the driver stands up African American (sic) and, without waiting for the secondary demonstration fatal tattoo has madman in the jaw. From hitting the man turns around and falls flat on the floor, slicing the skin under the eye, and blood splashing my shoes. Black man drags his feet on the pavement and makes legs ...

Stop! This is California, huh? I'm going to Disneyland? .. 15 minutes later arriving forces of law and order. I think they absolutely had nothing to do. The first flies howling two fire engines, followed by resuscitation and immediately patrol, but the sheriff. Patrol briefly questioned the driver approaches us and commercials with a grin: "You've seen nothing, guys, right?" Of course. I think it was worth all are affected to pour out of the hose, but no: placed on a cart, and to the hospital.

We wait until the next bus and half an hour at the site. Addict here all one would not get: at the entrance examination of hand luggage and a ticket worth $ 80.

Vivid childhood memory: "Disney on Fridays" and "Disney on Sunday" - good old cartoons and screensaver happy faces, stunning colors, magic castles, and all this magical country of Disney.

It's true. Outside the gates of the park plays an old American music. I find myself in a candy, plush city. I'm glad Goofy and Mickey and Mini, and gay people are cutting the dense crowd to the attractions.

There are several dozen, and, of course, it's all child's play. Here's one of them. We sit down in the boat and go on a dangerous journey through the jungle. We have an experienced guide, but on the banks, on the ruins of the temples are not asleep tigers and crocodiles, rhinoceroses pursue Aboriginal whistling arrows Indians.

At Disneyland pleasant to walk and watch the performances and ride the children's rides and fulfill a childhood dream.

Still, this is America. I think the ratio rides to fast food establishments with 1 to 3. By midday most of the visitor is captured by huge sandwiches for $ 8 apiece and buckets with cola.

This manner of food, of course, leaves its mark on the appearance of the Americans. Many visitors have to suffer from excess weight. However, half of them Mexicans, they are nice and huge portions of its delicious food.

And another remark in the park and around the city has done a lot for the convenience of guests in wheelchairs. From the comfort of such a lot of them on the streets and in the park, but that's most of them - quitters. People have legs, and the legs are of more or less, but is much easier to press the button, sitting in an easy chair.

But carping away. People here enjoy, and should partake of it.

Of course advertising opportunities. Disneyland - it's not just about the fairy tales and the past, but also about the future. The creators of "Tomorroulenda" it is seen with the machines "Honda", the perfect kitchen by "Microsoft" and kiberstrelyalkami.

But enough. Leaving Disneyland and had an hour without incident get in the animated center of Los Angeles.

I think five or six dozen high-rise buildings in downtown. To the east are adjacent to poor neighborhoods, and beyond them the airport and the industrial zone. From the west - Hollywood. Sunday, Main Street and Broadway, about four days. Rare car, rare passers everywhere singly or in groups vagabonds and madmen.

I go through this city and do not really understand what was happening. Where is the coffee shop full of clerks, bars, full of young people. Emptiness and the poor. The poor of all colors - white, black, Mexican. Some sleep, others rolled carts with belongings, digging in trash, cardboard fleecing. Almost all talk to themselves, seeing the camera, turning to me inappropriate questions, demanding money or ask for change "go to the toilet».

Very dirty. It looks like telephone booths on Broadway, and below - the alley seem extending from Main Street. I only bewilderment

Skyscrapers without any border moving into areas of concrete two-story barracks. Here are all the same, and to the beggars even added a group of black and Mexican youth, pushes in the shade.

Around the corner, 200 meters away from the glass and concrete skyscrapers, so that's outlets. At best Indian traditions. Junk any poshiba but popular - Passers-by stopped, considering. Beside cheap clothing stores - synthetic shirts dollar, etc..

46. ​​

I have been in different slums - in Bombay, Jakarta and elsewhere. There are very poor but very kind people. In Los Angeles, the atmosphere of aggression. From Camera people turn away, shouting something evil in the back. I see smiles, I do not see any activity - Mayat the sun.

I come back to the center. I walk on it for a long time and finally realize that it is a dead city. Perhaps the case in day off and all working people spend it in their cottages. It must be so, but for example in Australia, the city constructed on the same principle, but I can not imagine the center of Sydney on Sunday in a poor condition.

In the streets walks protection - it is not the police, and the "protection of the area." The following picture social assistance - a tramp in a wheelchair with a huge cat in the hands of a social worker complains that the bearings become loose.

Get away! In Hollywood! But what to do - because it is "one day" - and on this day in my carriage walks beggar. People turn away from him.

On Hollywood Boulevard tourists and entertainers. Unfortunately, mummers, unlike Disneyenda not paid a salary, and they require very cheeky tip.

Mexicans fried hotdogs, shops - souvenirs and chewing gum, in the corners - singers and musicians. I am reminded of the Thames in London and Edinburgh "Fringe," and Hollywood Boulevard in this comparison looks provincial waterfront resort. But tourists like it, but it's okay.

I went to Beverly Hills, and these are the two iconic buildings a hundred paces from the stars on the sidewalk. First - rekrutatsionny Center of the US Army. The second - "Temple Israel of Hollywood." Strangely, as far as I knew before, the Israeli Temple alone, and it is in Jerusalem, and he destroyed many centuries.

Smooth travel of the boulevard ends and begin living quarters. Cozy streets diverge around. For hedges are at home, and the farther I go, the more and more elegant they are. Someone moves, and here you are, books and furniture «for free». An hour later, most of the books have already been dismantled inhabitants of Hollywood.

Overall, Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard and Fayrfakse deserted, although a woman walking with dogs and with a gold rush convertibles youth.

And all this from the hills admiring the owners of this world, fenced grid-netting.

Fast dark, and the streets appear dark personality. Incident does not occur, but in their behavior a lot of aggression and fear, and taking photographs I feel unsafe. Therefore Beverly Hills leave the next day, and toward the pleasant Italians. Here dusty bottles of wine and nice music and pizza and beer.

Heavy lifting at the hostel, followed by a party in the common room and vodka for free. But there is no power, so to bed.

70. (Last)

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting