Massawa, Eritrea

We continue our journey through Eritrea. On the last day I went to the shore of the Red Sea and see the wonderful town of Massawa. After spending three days in Eritrea to say that this is one of the most pleasant of African countries. I advise you to visit it. The main thing is there is absolutely safe, very cheap and incredibly nice. The country is not corrupted by tourists. Now these countries on the map there are very few, do not miss.
under the cut 34 Photo © Ilya Varlamov

01.Ehat to Massawa for three hours, there is a stunningly beautiful mountain road.

02. Note that there are no cars on the road. For 3 hours the way I met a couple of cars. As I wrote in stranet no free sale of gasoline, so people are not traveling too much.

03. Beauty.

04. Due to the fact that the road is not particularly enjoying it starts to grow.

05. Pay attention not to the terrace. Previously we worked here farmers grew rice and other crops. But soon the government banned horticulture in the mountains, as farmers cut down trees.

06. Since the machine is not here, I did not leave the desire to go down on the serpentine road cycling.

07. On the way there are tanks.

08. At the end of the road had a little emergency - a flat tire.

09. Massawa - an amazing and beautiful sea port city in which the port is closed, and it comes one ship per month.

11. Massawa was founded in the year 935 and is the oldest city in the country. Ottoman Turks recaptured Massawa from the Portuguese in 1517. Until 1848. Massawa was under Ottoman control. The architecture of the city inherited from the Turks. Many homes with long arcades, carved balconies - a Turkish merchant houses built of coral blocks and covered with plaster.

12. The Old Bank "Italy", completely destroyed during the war. After the capture of Massawa by the Eritrean guerrillas city was bombed Ethiopian aircraft.

13. However, many of the buildings restored. It is necessary to pay tribute to the city authorities - are forbidden to build something new. The building can be either restored to its pre-war form, or remain in ruins.

14. Many cafes with excellent coffee and tea drinks with cinnamon and sugar. Incidentally tea in the local dialect Tigrinya and will "tea".

15. Ruins under restoration is given free of charge. So after 10 years the city will get its pre-war appearance.

16. The city is very hot, a lot of people sleeping on the street during the day. Up to 12 and 5 pm everything is closed.

17. The ruins of the Imperial Palace

18. Save all ...

19. Lions

21. Inside, carved doors ...

22. See how lovely ... amazing that the palace for 20 years is not looted.

23. Old mebel.Eti chairs if restored could build thousands of euros, but now it lies in the dust.

24. In the palace all the furniture in place.

25. Even the plumbing is not twisted!

26. The old railway.

29. In the evening, we return to the capital through the mountains.

30. Cloud attacked on the road ...

31. A flock of wild baboons.

34. That is all.

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting