Heroism in sports

Athletes who won medals in spite of injuries.

6 photos.
Source.

Nagano 1998. FIGURE SKATING. Oksana Grischuk (RUSSIA)

In Nagano Oksana Grischuk, who acted in tandem with Evgeny Platov dancing couples in the competition, it was the two-time Olympic champion. But only after the Games became aware of the difficulties faced athlete.

Before the start of every four main Oksana broke his wrist, but he did not admit the idea to miss the Olympics. She spoke with unhealed trauma, and they say that even concealed it from a partner and coach Tatiana Tarasova. Anyway, the skater has shown courage and together with Platov, they still remain the only two-time Olympic champion in ice dancing.

Nagano 1998. SKIING. Hermann Maier (AUSTRIA)

Courage, fortitude and courage of some athletes can only admire. They get to the medals through incredible pain. Austrian skier Hermann Maier at the Nagano Olympics, for example, flew off the track at 100 km / h, hit his head on the ground and went through all the barriers.

Fall Austrian looked so awful that most athletes in his place would have never returned to the track. But Meyer, despite numerous injuries and the fear of not withdrew from the competition and went out again at the start.

As a result, it is in Nagano Austrian won both his gold medal at the Olympic Games: in the super-G and giant slalom. Fans after this act began to call him Herminatorom.

Turin 2006. FIGURE SKATING. Dan Zhang (CHINA)

At the Olympic Games in Turin real sports feat made Chinese skater Zhang Dan, speaking in tandem with Hao Zhang competitions of sports pairs. After the short program they conceded totmianina Tatiana and Maxim Marinin and were forced to venture into arbitrary.

In one of those moments, fulfilling emission in four turns, the risk did not materialize, and Zhang fell to the ice with a fairly high altitude. During the fall she hit her knee on the ice, and then ran back into the side. The pain was so severe that the skater scrambled off the ice, and the program was stopped. More surprising was to find out in a few minutes, Zhang decided to re-enter the area and to continue the fight. This moment was the culmination of the competition of sports pairs. The rules were not specified what action should have been taken a judge, but seeing the reaction of the audience and the desire of the athletes, they allowed a pair dokatat its program until the end.

Zhang not only completed the competition, but also won the silver medal. Hall standing ovation Chinese pair. As it turned out, during the fall of Dan sprained knee ligament. Figure skater was forced to miss a month because of injury, and only at the last moment managed to recover for the World Cup.

ANKUVER 2010. FIGURE SKATING. Joannie Rochette (Canada)

A terrible tragedy happened in his personal life of Canadian figure skater Joannie Rochette for a few days before the start of the competition in the women's figure skating at the 2010 Olympics. Died mother Joanna, who specially came to support her to Vancouver from his native Montreal. If skater withdrew from the competition, no one would have dared to condemn her, but she collected will in a fist and went to the start.

After the short program Joannie began to cry in front of 11 thousand spectators, who at this moment, too, could not hold back tears. And on the basis of any program, it became clear that she had won a bronze medal, which is dedicated to her mother. All of Canada was proud of her, the whole world admired the fortitude Joannie. At the end of the Games, she won an award for courage and the will to win.

VANCOUVER 2010. SKIING. Petra Majdič (Slovenia)

Even gold Canadian hockey players could not overshadow the feat Slovenian skier Petra Maydich at the Vancouver Olympics. It is considered one of the main favorites in the fight for victory in the classic sprint, but the situation changed when the warm-up Maydich not fit into the high-speed rotation, falling into a ravine and crashed into a tree. Skier had four broken ribs and damaged lung. Its continued participation in the competition turned out to be a big question.

However, Peter continued to fight. All competitions since the qualification, she spent overcoming acute pain. It resulted in the launches under the arms, and after each of the four finishes it difficult to leave the track. Especially hard Slovene had during the last speech, after which it took away from the arena on his hands, but the status of holders of the bronze medal! With the ceremony Maydich already taken in a wheelchair, and some time later was taken to a clinic in Vancouver by helicopter.

Decree of the President of Slovenia Maydich was awarded the Golden Order of Merit. As for the medals, it is said skier, for her it was not the bronze, and the diamond. Note that it was the first in the history of the award for the Slovenian ski races at the Olympics.

SOCHI 2014. SKIING. Justyna Kowalczyk (Poland)

Four years later, at the site appeared Maydich Justyna Kowalczyk, who competed with Slovene in Vancouver and then took second place. At the end of January, she was injured left foot, and in Sochi, after a duathlon, which ranked sixth, Kowalczyk held X-ray examination, the results of which revealed that she layered fracture of the foot. Perhaps at this moment Justin remembered feat Maydich and decided nevertheless to start the race 10 km classic style.

As a result, Pole won the gold medal, beating the nearest competitor by 18 seconds. "I drank the medicine before the race and did not feel pain in his leg. It was very difficult to train the last three weeks because of my broken leg. In Poland, many have discussed my situation. I'm very glad that I found the strength to win. It was one of the toughest races of my life, especially the last two kilometers. There has been a rise, the sun melts the snow. I suffered as I could, "- said after the finish Kowalczyk.

Posted in [mergetime] 1392362705 [/ mergetime]
All I

Source:

Tags

See also

New and interesting