1. Saudi Arabia occupies about 70% of the Arabian Peninsula.
2. In 1932, when the SA formed by the merger of the two principalities, it was one of the poorest countries in the world.
3. Earlier in Saudi Arabia has been a lot of small principalities. Many present-day names of Saudis are directly related to the principality. Many of these families are the richest in the kingdom, after Saud, of course.
4. Name one of these families know almost everyone.
5. In 1938, the first oil find, and now SA - the first oil producer in the world and one of the richest countries.
6. The power is inherited, only members of the family of Al-Saud.
7. The country lives by the strict laws of Sharia (Islamic law), prohibited any public entertainment (cinemas, theaters, and so on. D.).
8. However, there are exemptions (think, in connection with events in the Middle East) - This year the King allowed women to vote in local elections to municipalities.
9. A couple of years ago, we wanted to hold a festival in Jeddah, but it was canceled before the opening under some plausible pretext.
10. The woman - a man without a license. He has no right to work (although in recent years began to appear the woman at the reception in hospitals) has no right to drive a car, can not appear in public one (only male representative of the family, even if the man is 6 years old).
11. Women are trying to defend the right to drive a car, and periodically organize protests, ride through the streets behind the wheel. They are caught make a suggestion and released on bail for her husband. One recently sentenced to flogging.
12. Executions have, but less than in the past.
13. for drugs - the death penalty. For alcohol - flogging, imprisonment and deportation.
14. This does not prevent the Indians and Filipinos brew moonshine called "Sadiq". The scary thing, degrees 60.
15. You can buy more fine drinks, whiskey, for instance, but the bottle will cost about 300 dollars. Contraband.
16. A significant part of the CA - the desert. In the south of the desert called the Rub al-Khali, the Empty Quarter. There's sand changes color throughout the day depending on the temperature, on the morning of red to light yellow in the afternoon.
17. Day in June and July temperatures in the desert easily reaches 60 degrees and above.
18. On the east coast periodically humidity rises to 100%. At a temperature of 40-45 degrees.
19. On the west coast high humidity is almost always present. But they have no sandstorms as in the east.
20. Along the west coast there are mountains Hijaz and Asir. The highest point - 3353 m.
21. Capital - Riyadh, a huge area city skyscrapers extremely small. The average height of the building - five floors.
22. Machinery mainly American. By the end of the 80 Japanese cars almost was not until one person (I do not remember his name) did not bring a few dozen exclusive Japanese models and gave them all the princes and nobles. Now, the Japanese car about half. European too, but not enough.
23. Despite the fact that the income allows you to buy a decent car, many ride avtohlama 70-80 years. One of the most common cars - Chevrolet Caprice Classic late 80s.
24. go as anyhow - the average speed around the city of 80-100 km / h, the country is officially 120, but in fact how can someone, but not less than 120.
25. Often the picture when a Saudi driving the car, and in the hands of a small child.
26. And they like to push the seat as far back, back recline, bend your left leg under him and to the left to rest in the dashboard and steer so sitting sideways and holding the wheel with one hand. Machinery, virtually all with automatic transmission.
27. Petrol is cheaper than water. Water bottle 0, 6 liters worth 1 Rial, 1 liter of gasoline - 0, 6 rial. Somehow.
28. The restaurant is divided into a family section and a section for singles. Singles to family is not allowed.
29. In general, depending on the security obstinacy, the lone Arab (or group arabchat) may not be allowed in the mall. There are shopping centers just for family.
30. Stray animals there. Well, almost none. Dogs have seen a couple of times for nearly 5 years, mostly cats, but quite a bit.
31. Pet shops there, you can buy a cat. But the Arabs do not keep animals at home, you can not.
32. Representations of humans and animals are prohibited Koran. People come out of the situation as they can, in Jeddah there is a monument it is not clear what, but if you look closely, it looks like a camel.
33. Even in Jeddah just dofiga any unexplained monumental compositions - monuments kettle, mites, construction trowel, even what you do not remember.
34. In the past and in the photographs on advertising in public places people's faces were erased. Now like decided that the photo - light painting, the light Allah has given, then the photo - it is pleasing to God.
35. To photograph people without their consent is not recommended, especially for women and police.
36. There is nothing you can not take pictures - circle wherever you spit, or government building, or a security checkpoint, or compound for foreigners.
37. I tried to take a picture of a fire truck in Jeddah - right out of the ground appeared a police car, nearly seized the camera. Friend otmazatsya.
38. Three key Arab word - inshallah, Bukra and maalesh. Inshallah - such as "God grant" to all the will of Allah, Bukra - tomorrow maalesh - well, to hell with him.
39. Accordingly, inshallah added wherever there is mention of any plans. Bukra inshallah can mean "maybe tomorrow" and "never." Generally Bukra - the time between now and ever.
40. The majority of Arabs do not know how to swim.
41. Despite the proximity of the Gulf, boats and yachts virtually none. There are few personal watercraft. Windsurfers have seen once.
42. Favorite entertainment - stop by car on sand dune up the hill. The height of the dunes - 30-40 meters, angle of ascent is quite steep. Some try to do it in the passenger car.
43. Trees there are practically no, desert. Arabs like to go on picnics to the desert, tents, barbecue and so on. N.
44. There are unwritten laws of the desert - if you see the car on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere - to stop, maybe need your help.
45. Saudi Arabia - very crap country. Tons of garbage along the roads, on the beaches. Flying bags, plastic bottles.
46. On a normal shoe problem, t. To. The Arabs are mostly sandals and slippers.
47. In general, they are in European clothes are not very accustomed to. Trousers ever shorter. Some are absolutely ugly shoes.
48. A blend of traditional Arabian attire (like Toba called), and shoes with socks almost to the lower leg - it's all hell.
49. severely moderated Internet sites with the slightest hint of pornography are closed, and many of the proxy server.
50. Train is virtually absent, despite the rather large area. There branch Dammam-Riyadh. Construction branch Mecca-Medina. In 2008, the contract for the construction w / d North-South won the Russian Railways, but then canceled the tender.
51. Entry to Mecca and Medina non-Muslims is prohibited. But we accidentally hit the Mecca last year.
52. In Saudi Arabia, the cult of the family. Most children live with their parents, the eldest son of elderly parents contains. Respect for elders is inculcated from childhood.
53. Going welcomes standing, Jr. - Senior.
54. At the meeting, the Saudis kiss on the cheek three times (or two at a time), but not all, only close relatives and old friends.
55. Here a very specific business etiquette. Late is the norm before starting business talk, drink tea, coffee, talk about life.
56. Saudi Arabic language does not exist. There Hijazi dialect (west coast), Najd (center) and Sharkey (East Coast), which differ from each other. Plus, visitors bring coloring Arabs - Egyptians, Palestinians, Syrians, Jordanians.
57. They say that Eve, the one lived in Jeddah, and the place of its burial was worshiped before. But then the Wahhabis destroyed the place of burial and cemetery. There was only a cemetery of the arch at the entrance.
58. Any other open religion other than Islam is prohibited. Accordingly, on the eve of any non-Islamic religious holidays such as Christmas, the activities of sharia police "Mutawa" is activated.
59. If there is a cross, it is best to wear it under clothing.
60. Eioc sale no, no, even artificial.
61. And here is Christmas toys sold in small souvenir shops. Paradox. Sam bought a few obviously Christmas balls in form of papier mache with camels on them.
62 Russian nesting dolls are also sold, but they are subject to the national modding. On the female nesting dolls painted black abaya (cloak such) and niqab (shawls), respectively, in the men's and Guthrie's To.
63. hoop on the head man on top of a scarf called Malaga. Now it is made from horseradish understand that, but before that was made of horsehair and served for the hobbled cattle (mainly camels).
64. Camel fresh milk is very tasty, but if you have stomach problems - it is better not to drink. Can act for half an hour.
65. The Saudis are quite welcome, but the house is rarely invited. Basically, communication takes place in a small alcove, adjoined to the house. Be sure to treat Arabic coffee, dates.
66. Arabic coffee - another story. Firstly, it is a drink of yellow-brown color. Secondly, it is full of additives - cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, anise sometimes. Third, it fed into microscopic pialki. Fourthly, it is very tonic drink, do not drink a lot. And be sure to bring a glass of cold water.
67. The Arabs are very fond of the language scratching. On the phone hanging permanently.
68. There is a list of professions approved by the Ministry of Labour, which accepted only the Saudis. For example, the personnel department or the relations with governmental bodies.
69. In general, the government strictly regulates the question of employment. The international company has to recruit a certain percentage of Saudis, at least 10% of the total number (could be wrong). This is called Saudization.
70. Sometimes it is easier and more effective to negotiate with the employee so that he received the minimum salary for his position and not come to work at all. The sheep are safe and wolves are fed.
71. Reckoning different from the Gregorian calendar. Now in 1432 Hijri.
72. New Year in our understanding of the Saudis do not celebrate. Last month of the year - Hijjah, the last month of pilgrimage to Mecca. On day 10 begins the holiday of Eid al-Adha, Eid go big, and continues until sunset the day of the month 13 Hijjah.
73. Birthday, too, do not celebrate. In general, many Bedouin birth date put on the noodle, the number 1 about a month of birth. Or the last. As luck.
74. During the day, pray to 6 times. At prayer time all closed. In the neighboring countries of the Gulf does not. In the Emirates, and Bahrain all works, even during prayers.
75. Islamic law prohibits usury, so the bank can take out a loan just under 2% (Operating expenses). However, interest on your deposit too meager.
76. The sales tax and VAT no.
77. Foreign banks here have 50% of the capital on a par with Saudi founders, respectively names of banks are not recognized world (such as Citi Bank), and local (Samba Bank - Saudi-American Bank, for example).
78. Among the Saudi youth is full of hipsters - dzhinsiki slinky, incredible hair, glasses on half face. They look ridiculous. The girls all abaya, the person is often too closed. Only his eyes are burning from the niqab.
79. In addition to the mass of the Islamic radio station, there are two or three that broadcast rock, pop and classical music. One in Bahrain, two owned by Saudi Aramco. Sometimes caught Russian Radio Dubai Qatari and French.
80. With full order TV, satellite dish in every home.
81. Traditional Saudi food has to look for purely Arab neighborhoods. It replaced the Lebanese, Jordanian, Syrian, Philippine, Malaysian and Chinese cuisine.
82. Japanese unpopular. Sushechnyh in Khobar is 2 or 3, 4, I did not open for a year.
83. Networking restaurants dzhankfuda over dofiga. McDonald's next door to the Burger King, Dunkin 'Donuts 10 meters from Krispy Creme.
84. In this regard, a lot of fat. The Saudis also are very cool sport.
85. My favorite game - football.
86. The Saudi team is called in the people of Al-Sackur (Falcons) or al-Akhdar (green). At the World Championships, the Saudis are the so-so, but the championship three times, were the champions of Asia.
87. There are quite a lot of football clubs. Best - Ittihad Jeddah.
88. I am even afraid to imagine what will happen if the draw for the World Cup Saudis fall to play with Israel.
89. The Jews do not like. For Palestine, including.
90. Bratushka-Palestinians constantly helping money. Last assistance was in September this year. 200 million dollars a minute.
91. Russian are good. All the time asking about Putin.
92. There are some purely Saudi Arabian gestures that can not be described, because there are more and facial expressions play a role.
93. The right hand of the net, the left - dirty. Used in podmyvanii forgive. So eat right. They greet one another with the right. If something is given, we must take the right.
94. Thieves cut before hand. Right. Here zapadlo something to eat zapomoennoy hand. While it may now cut.
95. Executions take place in mosques, but not all, only a few cities.
96. In Saudi Arabia, a wrong can not enter the mosque. Bahrain - please.
97. Public transportation is practically no. There are some suspicious coaches. And so all move either in his car or taxi. Indians and Pakistanis from the poor ride bicycles or at least go on foot. But in the summer is full kapets.
98. Over the weekend, the Saudis have come with their families for a walk on the promenade, trail lawn carpets and picnics.
99. By the way, the day off - Friday. And Monday begins on Saturday, like Strugatsky. Thursday, as a rule, work until lunch.
100. Saudi Arabia can not come just to get a visa, should be invited by the local office. International tourism is not there.