Rare Mercedes W123

The attitude of the Belarusians to the cars of the 1980s very interesting issue. Some motorists (especially in the periphery) perceive these "old" as a cheap car that you can buy for a thousand and a half, and putting a couple of hundred, operate without knowing the grief.

There are people for whom the car, whose "age" has passed for 30 years, is the only rarity car weekend. And the boundary between "junk" and "classic" is very blurred. Here take the Mercedes W123. The Internet is full of ads the model for 1-2 thousand dollars. But there are options, whose value is close to the coveted 10 thousand. The hero of today's article - just a W123. The owner says that the car is practically not driven the last 18 years and have not seen cold winters or hot sun.

"The original mileage the car is 330 thousand kilometers. Over the past 18 years, she has traveled 32 thousand. Vehicle test. He has age does not allow to go, so conceived to part with this toy. The machine is in amazing condition. Now see for yourself "- began a dialogue Andrew, who met us in his Toyota and drove outside Minsk - old Mercedes is stored in the garage of a country house.

In the village we were in for a dark green Mercedes W123 280E, which rolled out in 1982. Under the hood - 2, 8-liter inline "six" with two overhead camshafts (DOHC) and double chain, capacity 185 liters. from. (at 5800 rev / min) and maximum torque of 240 Nm (at 4500 rev / min). Unlike other versions, W123 M110 with motor was mated to a 5-step "mechanics". Frankly, 32-year-old car, I expected to see only "chetyrehstupku».

Even at first glance on a car, it became clear that the body is in excellent condition for his age. In Minsk many rolls of 123, but most of them are afraid to look. Here - no rust, obscure parts exterior, cheap Chinese CDs or other "rewards" of time.

"Machine 32 and a noble shine on the paint! She never painted - all OEM. The car has long been stored in the garage and did not see the bright sun. For several years he had not slid off. After the dough has entrusted to me the car, just I put it in 1650 dollars. Filters, oil terminals ... change all consumables in a circle. New battery. One alarm cost a few hundred dollars because of the complexity of the wiring. Who, by the way, sorry I put it. A light bulb was taken directly to the front panel, and it spoils the whole originality of the interior. Excess "remake," I believe "- said the owner of the Mercedes at the time, as the car warmed up.

I wound up the old "Six" is easy. The first time. A few minutes of loud "warm-up" revolutions, and the car quietly, "sang" blank. He examined the car closely, found a couple of problem areas. Firstly, the rear right door any labels with symbols "O" and "K". Small and inconspicuous, but the sight of a little spoiled. Next to them - light dent, as if someone had opened the door to the post. Easy blurred ink is on the trunk lid. The rest - nothing to complain about, considering the "age" of the car. For all the details - symbols of Mercedes. Chrome look great.

"In good it is necessary to invest a couple of thousand dollars to the car turned into an ideal. First of all you need a little touch up some places. The paint can be ordered from this dealer Mercedes, and it brought from Germany. Yes, W123 is still listed in the directories, and can be serviced at the dealer. In addition, I'd restored the driver's seat. It (like everyone else) - a spring and a little "dipped". More than three decades. What's surprising about that? "- Andrew continued.

Interior trim. All buttons and switches are working. I was surprised that W123 was used in the front of the soft plastic. On the console are the key power moonroof (working!), Headlight adjustment, and rear window defogger. Between them wormed aforementioned light alarm.

Andrew was looking for an original radio Mercedes, but at a reasonable cost and have not found, so this is your seat vacant. Next to the lever 5-INC - key "emergency gang" (reminiscent of the old light switch in the apartments), and adjust the speaker balance wheel (front / rear).

"Recently, the club came from Mercedes. Climbed a car with a magnifying glass, all mats podostavali. We were surprised that the radiator is almost no mosquitoes. Find W123 in this state today is not easy. We thought that the trunk lid - the new. There are two original keys. Father-rather "stroking" the car than exploited. Once I offered for her 6000 dollars. But I think it is too cheap, "- said Andrew. He would like to get for father-W123 9000.

In the trunk - clean and tidy. Unusually for an old car. Raised floor is raised and is still intact. "In my Toyota 2004, he in a worse state," - Andrew laughs. Under the floor - the reserve c tire Bridgestone. After inspection and photo shoot asked to drive the car. "Yes of course. Only summer tires. Carefully "- opening the door, said Andrei.

Doors are heavy. To close, you need a good slap. But the sound when you close the Mighty, purebred. No vibration or ringing. Rear-view mirrors are different from today's - well increase the image. View mirror in the cabin is excellent. Back You can not take advantage of the side. Thank you very much glass.

Noise - is not worse than the Camry, which we got here. The gas pedal has a few centimeters of free running (do not know whether or not the case), and the habit had always podgazovyvat. Several times in turns entered sideways. But to keep the car under control proved difficult. Brakes sensitive. Clutch informative.

Handbrake correctly named "nozhnikom" - it is located to the left of the pedal assembly. I click on an individual pedal'ku - put on the handbrake. He pulled the lever to the left of the steering wheel - took off. Lever "turn signals" has a rotatable part which is responsible for the "wipers". To the right of the steering wheel there are no levers.

The street car attracts attention. Saturated color looks great against a background of snow. There is no doubt that the car will turn around and other drivers such W123 will be more stand on the road than the W221. Is it worth such a machine 9 thousand dollars? Hard to say. This question needs to be posed by the experts, specializing in classic Mercedes. In Germany, the W123 in excellent condition, asking more than 10 thousand euros. But to call the "exclusive" state of the instance is still impossible. And running too big.

It is unlikely that this will be a Mercedes for anyone on the car every day. At least, I hope very much that it will not. Let the new owner he remains only occasionally travel on the road to the delight of other motorists. These machines need to "iron" instead of parking in salinization, snow-covered yard.

Source: auto.onliner.by

Tags

See also

New and interesting