Bombay in India

One of the symbols of Bombay (and India as a whole) is a monument to Gateway of India, or the Gateway of India. Much has been written about it in guidebooks and will not be repeated. Let me just say that these massive gate in the heart of Bombay were built by the British in 1924 as a symbol of colonial grandeur and the conquest of India. Ironic fact that only 23 years after the last British soldiers hastily left India after its independence.

In contrast to India Gate stands the classic and the most expensive accommodation «Taj Mahal Palace», also a business card of Bombay. Among other things, to the British on has nothing to do and was built in 1903, the richest man in India and the founder of the corporation Tata (virtually the entire industry in India is part of his empire) Dzhamshedzhi Nasservandzhi Tata. It is believed that he was being insulted disrespectful attitude towards them (because of the color of the skin) by subservient Hotel in London, decided to create a chic hotel of this level, which is not seen in Europe. And he did it; at the beginning of the XX century, it was definitely one of the best hotels in the world.

​​

November 26, 2008 Hotel Taj Mahal Palace turned into an arena of bloody drama when dozens of Islamic militants attacked a hotel and took hostage a lot of tourists. During the storm at the Indian army and the police, 37 people were killed, and the building was severely damaged, following a couple of photos of the day - 55,179,090

... And we move on to the colonial part of Bombay -

In my opinion, the main train station in Bombay, Victoria Terminus (today renamed Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus), is the most beautiful monument of architecture of Mumbai. Moreover, obezdili bunch of countries, I have never seen such a magnificent station -

The station was built by the British in 1887 in honor of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It is logical that for the Indians this "remarkable" day has absolutely no value, but rather reminiscent of colonialism. But the building itself perfectly agree!

Incidentally, following the Supreme Court (High court), also built in the late 19th century -

What the children play? Something like tic-tac-toe?

In the nearby University of Bombay young people celebrating the foundation of a new political party and announced its intention to actively fight against corruption -

The taxi driver was asleep, and the service is -

Scientists rest -

Street entertainment -

Juice from sugar cane -

Incidentally, the place is called the bottom Oval Maidan (Kiev hello), here bombeytsy play cricket -

You know, in less than a day in Bombay, I managed to see quite a lot, such as the tomb of Haji Ali, located in the northwestern part of the island of Bombay. But more about that next time -

©

Tags

See also

New and interesting