The project "Made of Metal"

Sometimes I caught vintage vsamdelishny house signs in poor position.
Rusty, curve, without glasses, he seemed to himself asked in good hands, otherwise intended to crumble into dust.

At first I thought hard to restore it to the original, ie, to revert the address. Rosa Luxemburg, 100. Painfully beautiful address, sounds.

But stopped thinking I needed a remake address.

01. As the saying goes "Do". Where the light bulb when it was in place, it is not clear, but certainly not in the side windows.

02. The mounting bracket cartridge, as well as himself cartridge worthless, they will be removed.

03. Rear view.

04. I start cleaning. The main tool for cleaning rust and paint from the rest were chosen metal brushes of different shapes on Drul. Bulgarian too resourceful and remove a lot of metal, I did not need it. For jobs I used an extension cord for a bit, plus some places cutter for metal and even just nazhdachku.

05. Vypryavlyayu geometry "wings". If possible, I correct all sorts of dents and jammed. Ears mounting plate I do not like them I delete later, but meanwhile they are useful for fixing the plate during processing.

06. General view of the workbench.

07. The old hole for the wire I do not need. It's too rough and ugly, I will lead from behind. Required to brew. I put a little corner on the back of the inside, that was where to cling to metal.

08. How could. Available only inverter MMA electrodes 3 mm. A thin-walled metal.

09. Slightly left of the hole, well, let

10. Come up with a bracket for mounting the cartridge.

11. picks it up as high as possible to the center of the bulb falls exactly on the center of the side windows.

12. It is evident that the paint imperfectly cleaned out, so be it, keeps it there firmly, and will not be visible. This is the most remote place was.

13. The tested samples of paint and method of application.

14. The support platform for mounting the sign on the wall. 4 holes for fixing the site itself, 4 holes closer to the center of the mounting bolts of the mark. Sign fixed to the terminal nuts with round heads.

15. The back side that will be facing the house. Bolt heads fix welding (photo omitted)

16. All items are prepared under the priming and painting: a sign bearing pad, 4 nuts, krontshteyn mount cartridge, the cartridge of 2 parts.

17. Missed photos stage primed products. Forgot to take a picture.

18. Preparation of glasses and stencils inscriptions. Inscriptions as usual smaketiroval in Illustrator. Right version of "red-spot" to make it clear to relatives that the giant size of the numbers ugly.

19. On the glass glued masking tape for painting trim the main color of the sign of frames in glass outside. It is necessary to align the geometry of the luminous zones glasses. The windows of different sizes in the metal and non-rectangular. For these zones I and the center of the stencil for numbers in the future.

19. On the reverse side of the stencils glued Oracal house number. Hand-cut with a knife. Who in the household has a cutter, so it will be easier. With the first glass, I did this: cut out the stencil on the board, peel off the backing and stick on the glass. Chore and it is necessary to carefully insert hole from 0 to a second glass went easier: rectangle pasted on the glass and then to cut the stencil - it's easier. The main thing is not by strong pressure on the glass, and then we can cut.

At this stage, relatives hinted that can orakalom glass and place, or at least back white background make oracal.
Well, no. I was determined not to decisively facilitate their lives in the pursuit of simplicity of work.
I wanted to restore the sign on the fully authentic technology without modern materials. Ie no Oracal and others. Only stencils.

20. The glass slides are ready for painting.

21. Painted black quick-drying paint. In the future, I realize that I was wrong by this paint, but I do not know about it, although he guessed. For example, to remove the stencil had once again walk on a path of numbers, to cut a stencil paint.

22. Simultaneously with drawing figures, the main color of paint primed sign. I deliberately painted a dark color first, and only then white, you do not accidentally drop on a white field.
No, it's not a bottle of beer Zhatetsky Gus - where gasoline.

23. But the main color to paint the frames and the above mentioned on the glass. At the same time to paint and ends stokol to avoid exposure side.

24. According to the dried black figures behind the paint with white paint, normal enamel. Though perhaps paint for glass was used correctly. But I tried it falls well swabbing and painting brush gives a decent color evenness without sagging, which could be seen naprosvet.

25. Prepared for painting a piece of glass.

26. Done! Looks good. But it turned out that the black paint is slightly moved here and there, though not completely fall off, because keeps on white.

In general, the quick-drying ink 3 in 1 (soil modifier rust, paint) on the basis of xylene - marketing divorce. Do not buy. Only on the basis of the old school of enamel mineral spirits!

27. Smotniroval slides into place.

28. The right and left, look carefully and hardly noticeable that differ in size.

29.Pod black paint in some places stiff white. But it is not visible from a distance, though unpleasant.

30. Smotniroval cartridge. Bracket fixed to riveting. I go out to the finish line.

The longest process was to be painted: 2 soil layer - 2 days. 2 coats of paints - 2 days. Inscribing and installation - 1 day. Total working week only for painting.

31. Rear view. Then I did not paint to save time. The hole for the wire liner is equipped with a rubber seal. In the future, was withdrawn because held too tight wire, and mounting electrical parts needed mobility wires. I do not think that the water to flow through the wire.

32. Preparation of the stencil title block. At the stage of prototyping I opechativalsya that the name of our village is short and not very well fit into the layout. At the stage of the case plunging the knife I was glad that the name is short :)

33. Hardly anyone at home there for oracal mounting film. I used paper tape.

34. The paste, colored paint on xylene. Waited until dry up and ... And then jamb. When you remove the stencil with him retired and the paint layer. All entirely without residue. Generally no adhesion.

Father suggested to paste the numbers and letters in black Oracal. But ... 1st - I do not have a black Oracal. 2nd - I do not want to glue oracal, I want vsamdelishnye of paint.

There would have to throw up, but I remember well that he bought this year for the white marker with metal, and was complete and a black marker. Their essence is that they are not in the conventional sense markers and paint sprays. And, lo and behold, this paint is tenacious.
Tried: dries quickly, hold tight.

35. Start all over again.

36. The holes in the letters did not put - small hurt. Well, I have a white background, white holes restore marker. Would not white background, would have to persist.

37. Voila! Done!

Then I reached into the night his mount on the wall, as impatient to see how it will look, bite the live wire, broads, sparks flew machines. Was feeerichno.

--img45--

38. The first set 60 watt bulb - a little too bright. Stopped at 40 watts - well

--img46--

39. Immediately visible flaws in the straightening of the main field.

--img47--

40. Daytime types.

--img48--

--img49--

--img50--

In an attempt to spy on, and what font generally used in the manufacture of signs, ran into several cooperatives that make these new signs. Without tears will not look.
I do not claim my ekzmplyar though authentic, but not the most elegant of the analogs of the era. There are also interesting.

But what is offered by modern masters - ersatz of ersatz.
Excessively smooth, smooth, accurate. No soul.

A pretentiousness that wish to give marks for beauty - already sick. And the shape of the main field and some little corners on boxes. And horse fonts. And LEDs as podstveki.

These signs still full of the country. They are not wanted, find, buy sotochku for the hosts restored. Breathe new life into them.

--img51--

Source: print-design.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting