Cary Grant

"Grant did not need to explain how to play - you just have to put it in front of the camera. It is so natural that the actor's cheating just do not notice »,
- I have repeatedly said in interviews with Hitchcock, Cary Grant, who called his favorite actor.

Mr. Grant has always managed something remarkable: he could be at one and the same time a serious and stupid, narrow-minded and courteous, sexy and cool.
In American movies very few artists so classic embodies all the characteristics of stars as Cary Grant. He himself said that "played himself to perfection».

Ian Fleming, so telling about the way his James Bond: "Yes, I am very well imagined my spy, it's Cary Grant!".
Grant became the epitome of masculinity and charm, the sex symbol of the era. No wonder that his well-known writer chose a prototype agent 007.

Childhood Grant was held in dirty blocks Bristol. There he acquired the pronunciation - Cockney, which is characteristic of the lower classes. Subsequently, the grant will be rid of him for a long time.

In 14 years, Archie Leach left school and joined the theater troupe Bob Pender. With a wandering troupe, he traveled to the province of England as an actor-mime.

At 16, he went with his theater in America, and during the long crossing of the ocean met the ship with Douglas Fairbanks. Stylish and elegant gentleman Fairbanks - silent film star - so impressed the imagination of the young man, with the result that ever formed for the image of its own future.

In the 30s Hollywood desperately needed new actors, as many Star 20's have not been able to adapt to sound films. This was a chance for Archie. And he was lucky - film debut took place in 1931.

Producers «Paramount» debutant liked, but did not like his name. It seemed quite unsuitable for widespread success. So there was a new name for the future legend - Cary Grant.

Under a new name, he made his debut in 1932. In just one year, this Cary Grant starred in eight films. While it's all been a minor role, and sometimes anecdotal. First more significant role he played in the movie "The Blond Venus", where his partner was Marlene Dietrich.

And in 1933 the salary grant is already a thousand dollars a week - it's that time was a very large sum. But the really big success came only in 1935. Their duet with Katharine Hepburn in the film "Sylvia Scarlett" much liked by the audience. By the time a contract with «Paramount» came to an end. Needless to company by all means do not become craved its extension, and Grant agreed, but on his own terms, he reserved the right to act in projects of other companies.

Another resounding success was the film "Bringing Up Baby", which critics of the «Radio Times» was included in the list of "the 25 films that should see everyone."

Legend Grant was at his irresistible sexual attraction. In comedies 30s playboy image he created long before this word came into use. His character - a female ideal, a favorite of women, always cleverly finding their trouble-free chord. That's when he created the image of a charming, elegant bon vivant with a deadpan sense of humor. His characters - a single men, of those which always dreamed of a woman, but always waiting just a single.

In 1943, Grant sought to the front, but the Air Force did not have. Then he starred in the war drama "Destination - Tokyo", and the money earned for the comedy "Arsenic and Old Lace" in 1944, transferred to the fund to help the allied troops. It must be said that the film "Arsenic and Lace" was the crown of his comic talent.
In the same year the film came out, "Only the Lonely Heart." In the words of Grant - this was his best work. For her, he got his second and last in my life, an Academy Award nomination.

With age and the first gray hairs Cary Grant begins to get rid of the role comedian. In 1941, he starred in Hitchcock's "suspicion". The genius of suspense himself appealed to Grant in 1946. "I do not want to stay in the role of the type of two-faced?" - He asked the actor's director. "Of course, I'm Cary Grant," - said the actor.

Hitchcock brilliantly beat Grant ambiguous nature - unlike the image on the screen of his human nature, which is particularly strongly manifested in the personal life of the actor. He formally married as many as four times, but all marriages usually lasted two or three years and were accompanied by scandals. All his life he dreamed about children and his only daughter was born, when the actor was 60 years old.

The last significant film Grant was the picture of "Charade" in 1963. Great detective story, diluted with a fair amount of humor. Along with Grant played Audrey Hepburn.

Despite the similarity of the majority he created on-screen images - Cary Grant stayed in the history of cinema not only as a professional but also one of the prominent representatives of the "golden age" of Hollywood.

Great sense of humor, spiced with a dose of sarcasm, it was one of its inherent character traits. Asked about whether the actor knows that many young people want to be like Cary Grant, he said. "Yes, I would like to be like him!».

During his life, Cary Grant received only one Oscar consolation. He collected all the possible reward after death. Until now, different charts of various magazines "On the greatest actors of the twentieth century", has always called Cary Grant among the first.

Tags

See also

New and interesting