Models of the 50s

Dovima called last aristocrat among models. It was a complex and difficult destiny. Dorothy Virginia Margaret Juba was born in 1927 in Queens. In 10 years, Dorothy was ill with rheumatism and spent the next eight years in bed. Alias ​​Dovima girl came up with herself, so signing their children's drawings, making the name of the first syllables of his name.

In 18 years, Dorothy finally cope with a serious illness and was arranged by the seller of candy in the store on Fifth Avenue. And in 1948, she married Jack Gold bank employee.

In the fashion world she came quite by accident one day Dovima stood at the elevator, pozhidaya girlfriend. At this time, she was approached by a man and said, "Come with me!". Half an hour later the girl was new styling, as well as 17, $ 5 for a photo shoot for the magazine «Glamour». The very next day Dovima become a model agency «Ford» and started working with Irving Penn. Its success was meteoric, in addition, it has become the highest paid model, she was paid 30 dollars an hour.

I never considered myself a beautiful woman. As a child I was a scrawny, lanky creature with ugly front teeth - I broke them playing in my mother once said shkafu- Dovima.

Dovima work at full capacity. She could create any image, and then change it in a few minutes. The girl became a favorite of Richard Avedon.

It was the era of sophistication superutonchennoy model - certainly not the girl next door - once said about her Jerry Ford.

In August 1950, Dovima went to work in Paris for «Harper's Bazar». And once Dovima went to Egypt to shoot with Avedon. Going there, Till had brought a suitcase full of comics, while saying all that is - her book. But when she was asked if she liked in Africa, the model said that she was not there. After Prior learned that Egypt is in Africa, said that she had to ask for double the price for their work.

In 1953 Dovima started working in the new modeling agency «Plaza Five». And in 1955 she Avedon made one of the most famous and beautiful pictures "Dovima and the elephants."

The model is very appreciated and it has increased its bid to $ 60 per hour. In addition, in 1957 Dovima tried her hand at cinema, snvshis in the musical film by Stanley Donen "Funny muzzle," where she played the role of a model named Marion. She also participated in various television shows and starred in the Broadway production of "SEDM and son».

Her first marriage ended in divorce. Again Dovima married official Immigration and Naturalization Service, Alan Murray. However, the marriage was not a happy - husband lived through Dovima while Tapping wife. The family lived in a big way: a nine-room apartment on Seventh Avenue, in what does not deny. In 1958 Dovima gave birth to daughter Allison.

And already in 1959 Dovima during posing for the cover of «Harper's Bazar», suddenly said Avedon, it is - her last shot. Model wanted to leave at the peak of glory.

However Dovima made an unforgivable stupidity, upped the ante for their work to $ 75 on the orders of her husband. As a result, she stopped orders. Then she tried to assign part of the agency «Plaza Five», but its creator - a former model agency «Ford» Natalie Payne - Dovima bought a share. As a result, Till lost their professional relationships and friends.

Second marriage Dovima collapsed in 1960, after she left her daughter in Los Angeles to start his acting career. However, the ex-husband claimed the abduction of a child and daughter robbed Dovima forever.

After 8 years Dovima returned to New York and signed a contract with the newly established Agency «Wilhelmina Models», in which she must interview applicants models and assist in workshops on the art of creating fashionable hairstyles and makeup. She also tried to open his own agency «Talent Management International», but it was not successful, but it was the last step in her spectacular career.

At the age of 56 years, Dovima married again, this time for the bartender Weston Hollingworth, which was really happy. But he was gone in 3 years, and before and not been able to recover from this tragedy. And Soon Before diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery. Dovima died May 3, 1990 at the age of 63 years.

Tags

See also

New and interesting