Life Gia Karanja

Life Gia Karanja was very bright, but very short: it has built a brilliant career as a model, which is to some degree and caused her death at a young age. Gia died in 26 years - it was the first famous woman in America, who died of AIDS.

The world seems to be based on money. I'm looking for better things than that, such as happiness, love and care.

Gia Marie Carangi was born Jan. 29, 1960 in a small town in Pennsylvania. Her father Joe was the owner of the diner, and my mother took care of her daughter Kathleen. At 11 years old girl suffered a heavy blow - her parents divorced. The mother, whom she loved so much, left the family, deprived of parental attention daughter, whom she had always lacked.

Being older, Gia began to pay special attention to girls - she never was interested in boys and 14 years taking care of the girls, she gave flowers and sent them his own poems. Jia spoke very openly about their preferences, which is very shocked by her mother. She took the girl to a psychologist, but nothing worked - Jia was adamant in its orientation. It was then that her mother thought it charming Jia could try his hand at modeling - she thought it would help in the education of her daughter, her discipline and will abandon the "fatal passion," as she called her daughter to love girls. Later, Kathleen Karanja aware that it was the biggest mistake of her life.

Gia easily agreed to move to New York to try his hand at modeling. However, she never considered working business model throughout his life:

I never wanted to be a model, it was not my dream, I'm just fascinated by it. I just wanted to make a nice mother.

In 18 years, Jia came to the agency Wilhelmina Cooper - the legendary woman who in the past has been a successful model. Wilhelmina was delighted with the young Gia - she liked her interesting appearance, temper and defiant manner of communication. In addition, Jia was a brunette, and Model 70s particular preference for blondes, so Wilhelmina decided to risk and on the same day signed a contract with Karanja.

The first few months of the newly made models carry the small orders, he starred in TV commercials and worked with an unknown photographer. However, the brilliant career of supermodel was not long in coming: Jia met with prominent masters of those times - Richard Avedon and Arthur Elgort were amazed not only by Gia exotic appearance, but also its ability to easily get used to a completely different images:

She at one time was an adult elegant woman, and in the other we have seen in front of Lolita. This ability is very appreciated in the modeling business.

Renowned fashion photographer Francesco Skavullo enthusiastically recalled the day when Jia first came to his photography:

She was amazing, she did not have to say anything, she knew how to take better position when the smile or close your eyes. For my entire career had just three girls who came to my studio, and I said to myself, "Wow!". Gia was one of them.

One of the first important photo shoots Gia began her work with photographer Chris von Wangenheim, who rented it to the American Vogue. Once the desired frames were captured, Chris proposed a model "to do real art." Of all agreed to it only a desperate Jia: photos Gia behind mesh metal fence became a sensation - until then no one had seen anything like it.

Jia makeup artist Sandy Linter with which later became her friend.

After this session in late 1978 before Dzhiey opened all the roads in the modeling world: she appeared on the covers of all the major fashion magazines. Only in the first half of 1979 Gia graced the covers of American, British and French Vogue and the cover twice Cosmopolitan US. Everybody liked the face and body Gia - her figure was significantly different from the skinny body models of the time, and her chest was considered the best in the modeling world - it does not even require retouching.

Cover Cosmopolitan, where shapely Gia appears to the reader in a yellow bikini in the Greek style, was named the best in the career model.

However, Jia beautiful appearance contrasted sharply with her explosive and moody character. Feeling his indispensability, she allowed herself to give up lucrative offers, chooses projects that would like to participate, leaves the photoset if she did not like the photographer, shooting canceled expensive or are not on them. Once she was shot a few weeks because she did not like her new haircut. But that was minor compared with those with a passion she gave herself to the camera, when still finds the desire to work - for the sake of the customers were willing to endure a lot. During the first year of the Jia received 100 thousand dollars - for those times it was a lot of money for the model.

I am able to buy anything I want, if I see something, I buy it. When you use demand, and people say, "I want you, I want you" - hard to refuse. I do not like to disappoint people. Thus, you have to work very hard. And if you want to take a day off because you need it, to relax, then the next day you'll have to work twice the pace. Models should never fade, tired or sick. They should be kept in sight.

Gia's career was on the ball, but her personal life has not evolved. Among her friends were Julia Foster and model Janice Dickinson, makeup artist Cindy Linter to which the capital Jia very tender feelings. Mama Gia tried to visit a daughter in New York City as often as possible, but all that was not enough - she was very lonely. One of her friends said:

She quickly fell in love with people who barely knew. She was very lonely and unhappy. Once, late at night, she came to my house only to its someone just hugged.

Suffering from loneliness Jia became a frequent visitor of the club "Studio 54", the walls of which there were no prohibitions. Drugs were an integral part of club life and start messing Jia - "to relax," as they said.

In mid-1980 from lung cancer and dying girlfriend Mistress Gia, which often replaced her mother - Wilhelmina Cooper. The pain of loss can not be removed, paving the way to one end. All those thousands of dollars that Gia earned by hard work over the previous two years began to leave.

But despite the terrible dependence Jia was still the most popular model in those years. At the beginning of the drugs did not interfere with her work - it is the same passion posing at the camera and gave her, but very frequent breakdowns and tantrums, inappropriate behavior and rumpled appearance have led to rumors - Gia addict. Photographers and customers are aware that something is wrong, but continued to turn a blind eye to all - is much more important for them was to get the cover of the famous model.

Jia tried many times to tie, lying in hospitals, became a member of the program of assistance to drug addicts, but nothing brought results - every time she came out of a sense of loneliness, and death in a car accident her good friend Chris von Wangenheim permanently crippled her. Jia continue to shoot, but often ended-up shooting her agent with the requirement to take "sleeping Jiu studio until it is not thrown out." Often Jiu stopped for drunk driving or theft - the money is not there. That was the end.

The latest cover of Gia was the April issue of the American Cosmopolitan of 1982, which was a gift from the photographer Francesco Skavullo - by the time Jia has not received almost no orders. Skavullo said Jia really put on weight, so he told her to take his hands behind his back to look slimmer. But it was clear that in this way the model was trying to hide the terrible traces of injections.

The famous photo Gia, which shows traces of injections (swollen Vienna on the right hand) - they could not be completely removed even with the help of retouching.

Then Gia simply disappeared. They said she went home to lie down on the treatment and get rid of destructive passion, but few believed it. After a few months of Gia forgotten altogether. In 1986, she was hospitalized with symptoms of pneumonia, but the doctors was diagnosed - AIDS.

Jia was in the hospital in his hometown, and finally got what she always dreamed of - mother's attention. Kathleen Karanja daughter spent in the House all the time, not allowing anyone but the medical staff, to her bed. Gia's condition every day getting worse - because of weak she could barely speak, her body was covered with a variety of abscesses and ulcers, instead of a lush head of hair on his head was a light fuzz.

Gia Carangi died November 18, 1986. She was buried in a closed coffin, the funeral ceremony was very modest. None of its New York surroundings did not know about her death, even in her hometown knew about it only relatives and close friends of the family. The news that the adorable supermodel Gia died, came to New York, only a year later.

From the diary of Gia:

Life and death, energy and peace, if I stopped now, it's still worth it, and even the terrible mistakes that I made and that I would fix it, if I could, the pain that burned me and left scars in my soul - it all worth it. I was allowed to go wherever I went - to this hell on earth, to this paradise on earth and back, inside, under, between, through them, in them and over them ...

Tags

See also

New and interesting