The life of a refugee.

Once upon a time I heard one expression - everyone has their problems, someone small diamonds, and someone stale bread. And absorbing a tasty sandwich or buying the next new thing, we somehow did not strongly reflect on the fact that in the world there are people who really need help. Any help. A piece of bread, a bottle of water, an analgesic tablet, a new mattress. This category includes people and refugees. Of them, we read on the internet, newspapers or see on television the next report. We become their very sorry, but in most 20 minutes after we had already forgotten about them. But there are people and organizations who remember and try to make their life a little easier. To learn more about the life of refugees American photographer Brian Sokol in collaboration with the UN Commission for Refugees come up with a project called "most important" in which refugees posed one, the most important thing for them. The first refugees began to Syria, which escaped from the horrors of the civil war in their homeland, which is still ongoing. Thank you for the photos site Al Jazeera.

Abdulaziz, 37, left his home in Syria on the night when his neighbors were killed. The next day he spent most of his savings to hire a truck and flee with his wife and two sons. Most importantly, he was able to bring with them - it is a tool, which is called Buzuk. He said: "Playing it fills me with a sense of nostalgia and reminds of the homeland».

Yusuf and his family left their home for a few months before this picture was taken. Most importantly, he was able to bring from Syria - is a mobile phone. "With him I can call my dad. We are quite close to Syria, and sometimes I manage to catch the signal from the Syrian towers. " In addition, the phone has pictures of relatives still held in Syria, and these photos are always with him.

Abdul and his family fled from his apartment in Syria after the street during a shootout between armed groups shot and killed his wife. Most important, he was able to bring from Syria - a key to the house. Although he did not know whether they survived family apartment, every day he wants to go home.

House Tamara in Syria was partially destroyed in September, and the family decided that the most secure for them - it's to get to the Syrian-Turkish border. "When we left our house, it seemed that the sky was a rain of bullets - says Tamara. - We moved from one hiding place to another, trying to protect themselves. " Most importantly, it was able to bring - is his diploma. With him she could continue their education in Turkey.

Ahmed, 82, and his wife Fatima, 67, fled his home in August 2012 after their neighbor was killed by soldiers of the question of why they executed his son. The most important thing that Ahmed was able to bring from Syria - is his wife. "She - the best woman I've met in my life - he says. - Even if I could go back to 55 years ago, I still would have chosen you ».

Iman, 25, decided to flee from Syria with his son and daughter, when she heard stories of sexual violence against women in his hometown. Most importantly, Iman was able to bring with them - is the Koran. She says that religion - the most important aspect of her life, and the Koran gives her a sense of security. "As long as he's with me, I connected with God," - she says.

Marv, 8, and her family came to the refugee camp in Iraq on foot. She says she was crying during the trip, because it was cold and the road was difficult, and the mother had to carry her and her younger brother. Now she's going to school and says he finally feels safe. Most importantly, she was able to take with him when he left - a bracelet on her arm.

Amina, 9, lives with his family in a rough, unfinished house in Iraq. In the cold and drafts with them live about thirty people. The most important thing that Amin was able to bring - a pair of jeans that she is holding in this picture. She put them all three times, and all were in Syria - the wedding twice, and once, when I went to visit his grandfather.

Salma, 24, and her family were forced to flee from his home last summer. Confined to a wheelchair and is blind in both eyes, she says she was horrified by what was happening around. Salma says, the only important thing she brought with her - "this is my soul, nothing more - nothing material." Replying to another question on his wheelchair, she seemed surprised and said that he considers it an extension of your body, and not the object.

Hisham, 37, and his family fled to Syria in early 2012, paying $ 1,100 for their smuggled across the border. Most importantly, Hisham was able to bring - a picture of his wife. "It is important - he says - because she gave me this photograph still at home, before we got married when we met. She always gives me a lot of memories and recalls the happy times at home in Syria ».

Ned, which is about 100 years (according to relatives, it can be from 90 to 107), he fled from his home in December last year, when all the apartments in the neighborhood were destroyed. Crossing the border with Iraq was very difficult for her - hike lasted most of the day. Most importantly, she was able to bring with them - the ring on her hand. When she was ten, he had given her dying mother with the words: "Keep the ring and remember me».

Mohammed, 70, and his family fled to Syria when their house in Damascus was destroyed by a bomb. They left in a truck, covered with oilcloth plastic. The most important thing that Mohammed was able to bring - a cane, which he holds in his hands. He says that without it could not overcome a two-hour hike to the Iraqi border.

Abdullah, 43, imam of a mosque in a single refugee camp in Iraq, fled with his family after he was warned that he was being sought by armed groups. Most important, Abdullah was able to bring - is the Koran. As an imam, he says that religion - the most important aspect of his life.

What is the most important thing for you? ..

Tags

war

See also

New and interesting