Kilauea

Kilauea - the youngest and one of the most active volcanoes on Earth. Photos made Kёrkom photojournalist Lee Eder demonstrate amazing beauty of the Hawaiian volcano that erupted last 30 years.

The pictures were taken photojournalist Lee Kёrkom Eder (Kirk Lee Aeder), 54, in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

The collection includes stunning aerial photos of the crater Puu oo (Pu'uo) ​​and picturesque lava fields in the Pacific Islands.

"Photographing Kilauea - often at very close range - I feel just an indescribable feeling of delight from communion with Mother Nature" - says Kirk. "It helps to feel how insignificant we humans are close to a natural power. And at the same time it's very inspiring. Despite all the technological advances of human civilization, volcanoes bring us back to our roots and origins ".

Eder grew up in San Diego, California, but moved to Hawaii in 1985 and considers Waikoloa (Waikoloa) their home for the past two decades. Although lava surrounding Kilauea volcano - it is rather a stream than a series of explosions, it still represents a danger to anyone who gets too close.

Beneath the surface of the soil in some places there are "pockets" of methane that sometimes - when molten lava flowing over them - explode by firing into the air chunks of rock. Hawaii is part of the "Ring of Fire" - a horseshoe formation length of 40 thousand km. (25,000 miles) in the Pacific associated with a nearly continuous series of oceanic basins, volcanic arcs, and volcanic belts, as well as with the movement of lithospheric plates.

At that time, as the Kilauea volcano is still very active, others are volcanic mountains on the Big Island, including Mauna Loa (Mauna Loa) and Hualalai (Huala'lai), technically also active and may one day wake up.

Locals love associate Kilauea Volcano of Madame Pele with (Madame Pele) - the goddess of fire, lightning, wind and volcanoes, which is highly revered in Hawaiian history and culture. However, the "wog" ('vog' - volcanic fog), formed by the smoke and fumes, is perceived less sympathetic, particularly those who live downwind of lava flows along the southern coast. Currently, research is underway studying the potential negative consequences of "Vogue" for health. "I first visited the area Kilauea during a family vacation in 1969. I was only ten, but I immediately attached to him, "- says Eder. "The most stunning moment - is when the molten lava flow reaches the ocean, especially at sunset when the colors become reddish-orange and sizzling lava meeting with raging ocean waves."

Source: big5.backchina.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting