Hoover Dam. Five years of depression (18 photos)

Hoover Dam was built in the midst of the Great Depression of the 1930's and managed to become the greatest works of his time, and the biggest dam at the time of construction. Under the cut you will have to wait for a detailed account of the girl, who was able to visit one of the main attractions of America. For most Americans are tons of concrete, standing where I made a photo, much more important than the rocky landscapes and even almost sacred. Hoover Dam here about the same as that of BAM for the Soviet people. By the way, to build this huge contraption they managed just over five years. Our familiarity with it was held in January 2012. Two young dasher having breakfast in a cafe in Las Vegas, studied Wikimapia for where to get a manicure. There and found Hoover Dam - something clearly deserves attention with a lot of enthusiastic comments. Despite the fact that it was not «neil salon», we estimate the distance to local attractions, immediately went to broaden their horizons industrial objects. Then I made a proud record tweeted: "found in 40 km from the dam Hover Vegas awesome. Go there. »

He received a bunch of scornful and envious tweets that, firstly, not Hover, and Hoover, and secondly, not fun, and one of the main attractions of America and all it turned out that I cherished dream come true for someone of followers. I felt ashamed and I'll never about the dam so disrespectful not respond. And even went back here year and a half later, to dad and sister also were able to enjoy its magnificent views.

It was a very controversial project. My Dear. Grand. Impressive. Harmonize its ten years of commercials. Its task: to protect the area from flooding permanent, secure the southwest United States to provide it with water and electricity. The last two points the states could not be divided between them. California and Los Angeles in particular, demand more of that wealth itself as the most advanced and the most needy. Finally a compromise was found in 1931 in the midst of the Great Depression began construction, partly helped solve another problem has arisen in America - with unemployment. To the bottom of the Black Canyon of the concrete grow 221 foot wall in the rocks cut through four tunnels to divert the river bed and built two small dams. Working conditions were hellish 60 degrees Celsius and wild concentration of carbon monoxide due to shuttling cars in tunnels. Total construction time victims of an ambitious project by around 100 people.

The country has not forgotten its heroes and built a dam at the winged monument love American attractions. It's all done in order to come here more tourists. More at the entrance to the dam, you will be prompted to turn on the radio to a certain wave to hear the history of the building and interesting facts about it. Parking - please cafe - yes on health, souvenir shops - you are welcome. More museum, tours of the plant and the free walk around the neighborhood.

Multi-level parking. Cost of arrival 7 American dollars from the machine. Parking is very cool fit into the landscape and does not irritate your brown appearance. And we certainly would be green. Or, if you're lucky, out of the ordinary gray concrete.

Exit from the parking lot to the dam. Elevators, of course, too.

In parallel with the Hoover Museum opened an exhibition of gum visitors with free admission

Built in 1936 and named in honor of the 31st US President Herbert Hoover dam was the highest, the longest and most powerful. In general, the coolest construction worldwide. (Shh, gentlemen patriots. Our Sayano-Shushenskaya more, but it was built much later). By the way, is the slope of transmission line towers - is not harmful lens distortion, they really are around 45 degrees.

Noticed that the dam spillways no? Excess water thus embark on the tunnel, which flowed Colorado during construction

So nice that on the way there are pockets where you can parkanutsya and again to look at the pride of the American nation

schё one mandatory item for Chekina - lookout on the bridge Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman. Here is the parking. I stopped by there first (it is just on the way), and then the very dam.

You can climb the bridge and on a chair with wheels and with a baby in a stroller, out on the zigzags in the center. Go not long and not hard. Three years ago the way to Arizona was held at the dam. Two-lane road in this place becomes a single-sideband streamer. Plus after the September 11 attacks was introduced mandatory police checks, creating additional difficulties. So Black Canyon got another very cool attraction, which is clearly visible on the cover photo. Long bridge over a mile and a height of 271 meters. Budget it cost 240 million green.

In addition to the important transport hub is now also an excellent viewing platform

Which offers a look like this And especially for curious on the way to the bridge and the parking lot is a lot of information all

Unfortunately, and in February 2012, and in September 2013 Hoover Dam was only a short stop on the way to the Grand Canyon and terrible. We did not have time to visit the museum, there was no time and appreciate the skill of the local chefs. Even the photos were done quite a bit. Do not worry, I will come back here.

Way from Vegas to the dam takes about half an hour. To travel east on Highway 93 and as soon as your eyes open at the bottom in the mountains of the stunning blue of Lake Mead, like a sparkling jewel in the brown mountain-rimmed, you know - you're close. The dam will be left on the road, there is a great isolation and great pointers.

The map below is visible in a circle shaped as letters circled R. This is the same car park, which can be reached on foot of the bridge. Once you pass the inspection, do not drive much, it soon will be on the right. Parking is free at the bridge. Parking at the dam is worth 7 bucks a car. Log in or not I visited the museum and a tour of the station - $ 8 per person. This is a very small price for the contemplation of the US national pride and once most of the dam itself in the world.

Source: logra.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting