Peterhof - fountains and cascades of magnificence!

The author writes:
Recently I had the opportunity to visit Peterhof, and what I want to tell you in this post. The fact that he made a lasting impression on me, probably not even worth mentioning. I'll tell you the best of the palace and park ensemble, world famous for its fountains.

Back in 1714, Peter I decided to create a suburban royal residence, is not inferior to the French Versailles. The emperor himself has developed the overall concept plan of palaces and parks of Peterhof. And already in 1723 Peterhof awaited grand opening. By this time it was designed layout Lower Park, built palaces Monplaisir and Marly dug Sea Canal, operated part of the fountains. Interestingly, this area was chosen not by chance: there are several natural reservoirs and hitting from the ground keys. For fountains and now uses these sources.

Especially breathtaking panorama opens at Peterhof from the sea. On shestnadtsatimetrovoy terrace overlooks the Grand Palace, and in front of him - the Grand Cascade, the glittering gold. Before cascading fountain surprises with its power "Samson tearing the lion's mouth." From the Big cascade leads to the sea Sea Canal, is divided into two parts, Lower Park - on the "West" and "East". The western part includes Marly Palace and Hermitage Pavilion, "Menager" fountains cascade "Gold Mountain." The eastern part of the palace is represented Monplaisir, a cascade of "Chess Mountain", "Roman fountains" fountains-crackers.

Grand Cascade and several other fountains are dedicated to the victory of Russia in the Great Northern War, after which the state became the Empire. The upper garden is located on the other side of the Palace, he was assigned to a relatively small area. The upper garden is a rectangle with three sides enclosed with a fence, which was created in the XVIII century by Bartolomeo Rastrelli.

Particularly striking perfect symmetry of the Upper garden, water fountains feeds five Grand Cascade. These fountains are also arranged symmetrically in the center - a fountain "Neptune", "Mezheumny" and "Oak", two other fountains are located against the side wings of Peterhof. Fountain "Neptune" is particularly beautiful, thanks to a lot of medieval sculpture decorations. One of these sculptures is a mythological creature - the hippocampus - the king of fish having a horse body, fins and tail of a fish. Fountain "Mezheumny" is a round pool in the center of which is a bronze dragon issuing from the mouth of a stream of water. Around the dragon settled four dolphins, squirting small streams. The fountain "Oak" - six-pointed star surrounded by dolphins, in the center of the star is a gold-plated "The boy with a mask" made of marble. The star is in a circular pool. Interesting and ancient reservoirs of the Upper Garden of Peterhof - Square ponds that provide water Lower Park.

Source: leonidos.livejournal.com

Tags

See also

New and interesting