Stories about people who voluntarily renounced a lot of money

It's about the eccentrics who can light-heartedly resist the temptation.
Maybe they think that the next time they will offer longer.
Next time do not happen !!!

The genius of mathematics, who refused to award $ 1 million

Russian mathematician Grigori Perelman in 2003, the year proved the Poincaré conjecture, which states that any three-dimensional space without boundary can be transformed into a sphere - the mystery by that time had about a hundred years was considered unsolvable. Recognized as one of the smartest people on the planet, Perelman published two proofs of theorems - in 2002 and 2003 respectively, but in 2010 a group of mathematicians from the Institute of Clay confirmed loyalty of his evidence, so one of the seven so-called "Puzzles Goals "I have been resolved. The cost of this solution - $ 1 million and "Fields Medal", the mathematical equivalent of the Nobel Prize, generously, is not it? But the genius refused the money, saying that scientific knowledge more financial reward. "I'm not interested in money or fame. The world pervades emptiness, and it is subject to the formula - it gives us unlimited possibilities. I know that governs the universe. So explain to me why I have to work for some one million? "- Perelman said in an interview with the local newspaper. 47-year-old genius still lives modestly with his mother and sister in his native city - St. Petersburg.

The winner of the lottery, did not pick up his £ 2 million

It seems that everyone wants to win the lottery, but apparently, it is not 70-year-old German pensioner fell ticket for £ 2 million ($ 2, 77 million), but he refused the cash because I did not know what to do with them . According to the winner, it is not at all interested in the victory, as he bought a ticket just because his late wife was a passionate player. When he learned of his win, then I went to the headquarters of the Association of Lottery and told them that he would not take the money. Retired resisted even much persuasion the staff, saying that he had nothing to do with the money, because in his view no one left - his wife and parents are gone, and the children or other direct relatives, and he was not. The association keeps winning, expecting that someday he changes his mind.

Man, do not sell the stone for $ 4 million

Traveling through the mountains near the border with Yemen, a resident of Saudi Arabia Saleh Musfer Al Ghamdi found a dark stone, which, according to him, was mentioned in one of the verses of the Koran, which states that in the Year of the Elephant (570 th year BC. E.) Allah sent Ababil birds, Ethiopian troops showered the governor Abraha Sajjil stones (in the lane. Arabic - "obozhёnnaya clay"), which, falling into the Ethiopian soldiers left their terrible non-healing ulcers. The aim was the destruction of Abraha army major Muslim shrines - the Kaaba, but some people still died on the outskirts of Mecca, the others was overcome panic, and, stepping back, they died one after another on his way home. A year later, Saleh offered for this stone $ 4 million, because it is decorated with pictures of birds and elephants, it weighs exactly 131 grams, which corresponds to the number of words in the same verse of the Koran, as well as experts calculated that the age of the stone is in 1442, that just It coincides with the events referred to in the Koran. But Saleh says that before finding him in a dream were father and grandfather, and it is - an important reason not to sell the relic.

The inventor, not having taken $ 60 million to leave a clean conscience

In 2006, the scientist-inventor Jeffrey Van Middlebrook developed a technology for purifying the combustion products from waste gas CO2, the use of which in the industrial scale would bring him a fortune. Development Middlebrook greatly interested the Chinese government, confidence in the successful application of this invention in the development of clean coal energy. China - the world's largest consumer of coal, the use of which side to produce electricity is a huge amount of pollutants from the combustion of fuel in the atmosphere - every year in China from diseases related to the appalling state of the air, kills about half a million people. Furthermore, coal burning contributes to an increase in cloud cover black smog enveloping the major Chinese cities. With the support of the University of China and the deep coffers of the Communist Party, Middlebrook and his business partner were asked to finance its research finding the sum of $ 60 million. But the inventor read in the news about the operations of harvesting organs from tens of thousands of "prisoners of conscience" detained for occupation spiritual practice Falun Gong held in Chinese military hospitals, he also learned about the brutal torture in prisons and the ongoing repression by the country's leadership with respect to the Chinese people. When reading this information Middlebrook firmly decided: "This is a foreign government poking our nose a huge sum of money. But then I read about all these horrors taking place in China. I thought, I will not do it. I can not take money from them. Regardless of the value of my technology, no matter how much they have to offer, Chinese money, I will not take ».

Rockers, who did not shave for $ 1 million

Remember advertising «Gillette», in which men in towels shave after taking a shower? It is suitable for models, but it certainly has nothing to do with the rock stars. The leader of the group «ZZ Top» Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill colleague offered $ 1 million if they sbreyut their beards, but they refused. On the re-bid, they respond just as well. "Even taking into account inflation, it will not pass. The prospect of seeing myself in the mirror clean-shaven too reminiscent of a horror film. This offer will never be seen, regardless of compensation, "- said Gibbons.

The actress, who rejected an offer to pose nude for $ 1 million

Infamous actress Lindsay Lohan was indignant attention of editors of well-known publications for men, which is headed by Hugh Hefner, last year offered her undress in honor of the 55th anniversary of the first issue of the magazine. It is not the first time refused to be naked for "Playboy", but this time her fee for the first time would have been $ 1 million. It is rumored that intractable star offered to "show everything" for $ 700 thousand more in September of 2008 and in 2009- m she was invited to pose for $ 500 thousand - Lohan and it refused, after which the "Playboy" raised the price to $ 900 thousand. Earlier Lindsey partially bared for a photo shoot at the famous designer Hedi Slimane, as well as on the set of the image of Marilyn Monroe for «New York Magazine »in the year 2008.

A man who did not want to work for $ 250 million

A lot of people are ready to kill even for a low-paying job, but this guy is not one of those! Greg Coffey did not go on about the GLG - one of the largest hedge funds in Europe and refused to continue working on them, but were willing to give him the shares, cash and other powerful incentives worth about $ 250 million in just five-year contract extension. Coffey - for several years, not the last person in the insurance market in London, but this failure did loud Aussie known in the whole world. Career Greg allowed him to become the owner of property worth about $ 40 million, in which, among other things, included a house in London, two mansions on the coast in Sydney, chalets in Switzerland, and the estate near London, so, apparently, he can afford to give up such offers.

The preacher, not having attained millions of US government

This renowned pastor Rick Warren, calling for Christian organizations not to accept government assistance. Rick Warren is the preacher in the Church Communion in Saddles Valley, California, and is widely disclaims his Church to take money from the state, claiming that all Christian communities have to follow it if they really believe in the gospel. Rick has repeatedly given an interview in which he claimed that he personally refused to accept millions of dollars intended for their joining the Obama administration, and earlier - President Bush, these funds must be devoted to charitable activities, which his Church has been all over the world. According to the beliefs of Warren, the rejection of material state aid to prevent political pressure on the community, which can lead to a distortion of the meaning of the teachings of Jesus Christ. In addition, the government often provides funds only to provide the necessary reaction of religious organizations on the agenda - like the abortion issue and the gay and lesbian movement.

Source: www.liveinternet.ru

Tags

See also

New and interesting