Replacement obscene names from the lower ranks

Curious historical fact))

Find your father and grandfather of my grandmother (his great-grandfather and great-grandfather, respectively) - Don Egorovs nobles - it was not difficult. However, further progress has been difficult. Although the Fund of the Department of Heraldry (RSHA, St. Petersburg), there were six cases of nobles Egorovs the Don Cossacks, after studying them, it became clear that my family was not there, and most likely the study of this branch would have to stop if the grandmother remembered that Egorovs previously worn name Visloguzovy. The only thing in the fund Geroldii with that name be exactly I was looking for.

Much to my surprise, turned out to be an obscene surname Visloguzovy (nowadays it looks quite decent), and members of the genus have had in the middle of the XIX century to replace it at Egorov and Stepan.

In the same case, I learned the decree of 1825 "to replace obscene names from the lower ranks." I would like to draw attention to the fact that the decree was not mandatory for officers (assumed likely that officers can stand up for themselves and not allow themselves to insult). In the light of the phenomenon of the decree, among other things, spoke of sufficient care and humanity in relation to the ordinary soldiers, which is not so common in the XX century.

This example although it is of some interest to me, nevertheless made it impossible to cover the whole problem. Only a systematic study of the Don surnames of the XVIII century allowed & quot; I understand how important and timely was this decree. In Rossiyskoi State Military History Archive (Moscow) preserved information about more than 12 thousand Cossacks of the Don Cossacks, published in 1775-1786 from the rate in years. The study of these documents unexpectedly for me appeared regularly carriers obscene names, such as: Bzdiliny, Bzdunkovy, Perdunovy, Dristunovy, Dristuntsovy, Zhopiny, Zhopkiny, Mudakovy and others.

One of the employees of the archive, was keenly interested in my findings after each new indecent names consistently pointed out that "it is - not the limit", on the one hand, tempering my "enthusiasm", and on the other - stimulating further searches.

At the end of the study this material and meet Hudosrakov Mohnozhopov (imagine what it was like to live with the name of his daughter?) And Rasperdyaev Cossack, who was forced to retire in 30 years, "according to incontinence."

In the middle of the XIX century, all these names were, of course, be replaced, however, along with the progressive and humane value decree in 1825 can be noted with regret that it has reduced the number of families, focused on the physical features of the founders of birth, as well as significantly impede genealogical research.

Korjagin SV

here

Tags

See also

New and interesting