The truth about coconut

One of the most famous in the world of tropical fruits - a coconut. And perhaps no one other tropical fruit I have never heard so many conflicting and inaccurate information from foreigners as a coconut.

Myth 1: Homeland coconut unknown

Indeed, the birthplace of the coconut and undecided. But although coconut trees growing in the tropics in both hemispheres, most still are inclined to think that the birthplace of the coconut - Southeast Asia.

Myth 2: Coconut vodoneronitsaem

Coco is not only waterproof, but also unsinkable. It is expanding and growing range of coconut: the fruits are carried by ocean currents, without losing its properties. There are cases when some coconuts come to the shore to Norway, while maintaining viability.

Myth 3: Coco - a walnut

Coconut nut no more than a cherry or peach. Properly attributed to coconut drupe, in which the pulp is inside the seed. The so-called white flesh of coconut, copra, - is its seed, which is inside the liquid endosperm.

Myth 4: There are two kinds of coconuts: green with brown and clear liquid with a milky-white liquid

And then, and another - two stages of maturation of the coconut and Toto. The liquid inside the coconut first liquid and transparent. This is the coconut water.

Then it starts to separate the oil from the surrounding white pulp. The fluid thickens and ceases to be transparent. At first it becomes the consistency of milk, and then - like fermented baked milk, and then - as a thick cream, and finally and completely hardens.

Myth 5: The fallen from a height of coconut palms can easily kill a human

A popular joke in the tropics that the theory of probability people will soon die from hitting the falling coconut than by a shark attack, turned into a horror story. The only recorded death from coconut took place in 1777 at the BBQ, one of the Cook Islands, when the king's concubine killed Tetu.

A certain P. BARSS from McGill University in 2001, received the Ig Nobel Prize for scientific work "Injuries prichenennye falling coconuts."

The photo was taken at the risk of life. Repeat at home is not recommended.

Myth 6: Coconut milk and sour cream easier

For some reason this idea offered by some sites on healthy eating, advising in cooking to replace sour coconut milk, ostensibly to reduce calories.

In fact, the thickened coconut milk is 90% of saturated fat, higher in content than even lard and butter.

For example, even in Malaysia Indians who traditionally added in curry coconut milk today prefer to use it in smaller quantities or buy skim coconut milk.

Myth 7: Coconut water - it is tasteless and useless

On the taste, of course, do not argue. Although I personally cool coconut water sweetish taste, someone not used to it can not enjoy.

But the properties of coconut water, perhaps undeniable. No wonder coconuts manually removed from the palm green, long before the flesh hardens, oil from the partition into the liquid and the liquid thickens. The coconut water are no cholesterol, it is sterile, it may be used in medicine as an antiseptic, and even intravenous injection. She takes the temperature stabilizes blood sugar levels in patients with diabetes and cures of kidney stones.

Rasskazyvt here is a lot. So it is about coconut water is a separate story the other day.

Myth 8: For the Europeans, the coconut - a beautiful exotic, and in Asia - it's just promsyre

For this enough to argue, just written here, as it is called coconut in different languages โ€‹โ€‹of Asia. On the Sanskrit name of the coconut translates as "the tree that can provide everything necessary for life." Malay - "tree thousands of applications." In the Philippines, the coconut is called the tree of life.

It is believed that if you find yourself on a completely deserted island, where in addition to coconuts do not grow and there is no living creatures, then you are well hang indefinitely on only one product of the coconut palm.

I feel that all the methods of application of coconut, industrial, household, culinary and even music, I also will write a separate post.

Myth 9: Coconut palms are absolutely smooth and they are extremely difficult to climb

What's the truth. This is how a person tries.

For this reason, in some countries, and in Malaysia including still using rhesus collecting coconuts. In the state of Kelantan in Malaysia, there are even schools teaching skills to macaques collect coconuts. Give your monkeys in our schools!

Myth 10: After purchasing coconut, should be carefully pierced near the three holes and drink milk

On the Internet, numerous manipulations are described as hard to open a coconut with a screwdriver and a hammer and drink milk from it. As I wrote above, I drink coconut milk from mature coconut - still there tablespoons butter. In the homeland of coconut nobody would dream of drinking milk it.

Drink, as I wrote above, the juice of a green coconut. Green coconuts can not be stored for a long time. They are kept in the fridge and drink no later than 2-3 days after removal from the tree. Hardly a coconut will be exported to Europe. Therefore, what is sold in Europe - this is probably ripe coconut. Its flesh should upotreblint in kulinarnyhtselyah and moderately desirable.

Tags

See also

New and interesting