Nursery turtles on the island of Gili (19 photos)

Today there will be the person I am sincerely and deeply respect. The man who threw the short-term selfish interests and devoted his life to the salvation of the world. Not abstract salvation, and to the present, day after day, year after year cultivating your own little world, in the land where he was to be born. Not looking for fame or fortune, success or popularity, but simply doing their job. Meet - Bolong, creator tortoise nursery on Gili Meno.

This homemade booth set next to the nursery.

"I Bolong, created the nursery to protect sea turtles and their future. Many in Gili Meno say that I am crazy because I spend 35 thousand rupees a day to feed them. I collect their eggs and turtles grow up to 8 months of age, and then releasing them. The number of turtles on Gili Meno declined sharply due to natural predators and human interference in the environment. We need to protect turtles, that in the future they lived on these islands. Please help me save the sea turtles on the islands of Gili any amount of money or fish, otherwise the day will come when I can afford to feed them only rice.
Bolong »

So, briefly and clearly he encourages all to participate who are not indifferent to what will happen to our planet. That's how people without education, who lives on the brink of poverty, think about the people who will live after us. That's another of the same age of dinosaurs, type older than 150 million years, the surviving hundreds of natural disasters - glaciers, warming the division of the continents - on the brink of extinction because of the "reasonableness" of human intervention. Bolong has repeatedly appealed to the authorities, but they are always full of much more serious problems. Said the local office WWF, but they are probably busy global salvation, and they have no time, and the extra money is always there where to attach. As a result, the nursery living donations and income from tourists excursions uncomplicated Bolong.

And - the world is not without good people - sometimes help local fishermen's catch.

Our meeting took place at a very exciting time - is born a new litter of sea turtles. I accidentally (by chance it?) Passed, and I was invited to observe the process.

Bolong (left) carefully digs clutch. Today - exactly 2 months from the day he laid it, and that means it's time to be born a new offspring. Here there are the first kids.

Waking up at once, they were surprised at first squinting at the light, moving sluggishly tiny flippers. Bolong photographs offspring.

Here it is, a newborn baby, still covered in sand and the remainder of the umbilical cord. New cherepashachya unit.

And his brothers (or sisters).

Hatched turtles are placed in a makeshift cage. Here they are - 43 new life.

Soon they planted in the bath with sea water to 8 months to release into the sea when they are already strong enough to protect itself from natural predators.

They will look like this. Why not a chicken?

These turtles have almost reached "dembelskogo" age - two weeks later they released to float freely. Often this procedure Bolong attracts tourists for a small donation, anyone can own in a sea turtle release.

And this kid just 2 weeks, and it needs special care.

In addition to feeding every two hours from sunrise to sunset and the daily change of the water in the pool, and the necessary hygiene procedures.

Bolong polish them back every day with a toothbrush, or on the shell is formed unwholesome organic coating - standing water in the pool.

What caused the disappearance of a species? Here is the text information leaflet nursery, with selective free translation.

One of the reasons - global warming. Another - "improvement" beaches where turtles are used to doing masonry. The first enemy of sea turtles - a man. They are hunted for their meat (not one of us "wanted to eat turtle soup»? ©). A green sea turtle is called - soup. Another delicacy - turtle eggs - often just dug fresh masonry, giving offspring to be born. Turtle oil is used in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. Shells go to jewelry and souvenirs. They fall into the fishing nets, and often killed, confusing household garbage with food - plastic products block the esophagus and the airways, and amphibian die.

Bolong very offended when I asked whether he sells turtles may zoos or hotel or eschekuda. "No, I do not sell the turtles!" - "So for what you really do that?" - "For the sake of the future", - he said briefly.

At the end of the leaflets Bolong calculations leads the project to expand its nursery and brings the bank account number for donations. Because he believes - the world is not without good people.

Tags

See also

New and interesting