135th Kentucky Derby, in 2009 (30 photos)

Last Saturday, May 2 at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in Louisville, Kentucky, passed the next, the 135th Kentucky Derby. (Derby - racing horses 3 years old Thoroughbred breed at 1, 5 miles). This year the derby triumph winning jockey Calvin Borel (Calvin Borel) on a horse My Birdie (Mine That Bird). These jumps, the most significant in the United States, often referred to as "the greatest two minutes in sports", and Calvin Borel Bird tried to conform to so bring your time preodaleniya 1.5 mile to two minutes.

Favorite Kentucky Derby Kvoters General (General Quarters) rubs his head against the walls of his stables after a workout early in the morning on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" May 2, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / Ed Reinke)

Favorite Kentucky Derby Kvoters General (General Quarters) rubs his head against the walls of his stables after a workout early in the morning on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" May 2, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / Ed Reinke)

Horse rides through the mud during a training session at the 135th Kentucky Derby's April 30, 2009, in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / Charlie Riedel)

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas (D. Wayne Lukas) astride watching a morning workout at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" at dawn on April 25, 2009 at Louisville, Kentucky, Saturday, April 25, 2009. Lucas-horse trains Derby favorite Flying Soldier (Flying Private). (AP Photo / Ed Reinke)

Kentucky Derby favorite I Want Revenge (I Want Revenge) is washed after a morning workout at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" April 30th, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky. (REUTERS / John Sommers II)

Shadow farm manager "Double Eagle Ranch» (Double Eagle Ranch) Kelly Dennington (Kelly Dennington) on the wall of the barn. Kelly waits favorite derby horse named My Birdie finish training at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in Louisville, Kentucky 25 April 2009. (AP Photo / Ed Reinke)

Marshal Adam Smith (Adam Marshall) shoeing a horse at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" Friday, May 1 2009. (AP Photo / Morry Gash)

Jockey Calvin Borel riding Rachel Alexandra (Rachel Alexandra) during the Kentucky Oaks horse racing at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" May 1, 2009, in Louisville, Kentucky. Leap Kentucky Oaks, which this year also won the Calvin Borel, usually held on Friday, the eve of the Kentucky Derby. (AP Photo / David J. Phillip)

Jockey Calvin Borel riding Rachel Alexandra at number 6 rushes to the finish line during the Kentucky Oaks horse racing at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" May 1, 2009, in Louisville, Kentucky. Leap Kentucky Oaks is traditionally held on Friday, the eve of the Kentucky Derby. ((Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Groom Jose Herra (Jose Herra) washes Derby favorite I Want Revenge after a morning workout at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" May 1, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / Charlie Riedel)

Rider training in the morning before the Kentucky Derby on April 27 racetrack "Churchill Downs" in Louisville, Kentucky. (REUTERS / John Sommers II)

Robotic leg with a hoof, grounded aluminum horseshoe. This mechanism is used to simulate the force is applied racehorse and appropriate measurements to determine the state of the coating on the racetrack and find possible defects. Picture taken April 25 2009 at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs". (AP Photo / Garry Jones)

Favorite Kentucky Derby Royal Plata (Regal Ransom) is washed after a morning workout at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" April 30, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky (AP Photo / Charlie Riedel)

Lentsman David (David Lanzman) hangs a sign the participant Kentucky Derby, a horse named I Want Revenge (I Want Revenge) to the wicket at number 13 on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in Louisville 29 April 2009. (AP Photo / Garry Jones) < br />

Patty Etington of Shelbyville laughs hidden ruffles his extravagant hats. Hats - a mandatory attribute of the race. Selecting a hat to its original racing lovers care not less than the question on which horse to bet. And it's not the dress code - any big jumps have long been informal displays of costumes and hats. Picture taken at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" on Saturday, May 2, 2009. (AP Photo / Patti Longmire)

Fans of horse racing filled grandstand before the 135th Kentucky Derby's on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in Louisville 2 May 2009. (REUTERS / John Sommers)

Special features Kentucky Derby - the mint julep, an annual average of two days sold about 90 thousand servings of beverage. The composition of such a sweet cocktail: the best whiskey bourbon, mint from Morocco, ice from the Arctic, sugar imported from the southern countries of the Pacific okeana.Foto done on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" on Saturday, May 2, 2009. (Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Batleman Steve (Steve Buttleman), which is officially Signalist on the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in 1995, the pipes before the race. 2 May 2009. (REUTERS / Matt Sullivan)

At the start! May 2, 2009 at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" in Louisville, Kentucky. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

Jockey Calvin Borel riding on Bird is the last in the first round of the Kentucky Derby horse race on May 2 2009. (Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Jockey Calvin Borel riding on Bird catches opponents. May 2, 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / Mike Fisher)

Turn. Calvin Borel riding on Bird barely visible behind rivals (2nd right). (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

Calvin Borel riding on Bird is the first to start. May 2, 2009, in Louisville, Kentucky. (AP Photo / John Flavell)

Calvin Borel riding on Bird enjoys his close victory in the 135th Kentucky Derby on May 2 2009. (AP Photo / James Crisp)

Jockey Calvin Borel riding on Bird crosses the finish line of 2 May 2009 the Kentucky Derby on May 2 2009. (Jamie Squire / Getty Images)

Mud-spattered Calvin Borel riding on a bird. 2 May 2009. (Matthew Stockman / Getty Images)

Calvin Borel riding on Bird makes the winner's circle at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" 2 May 2009. (AP Photo / Charlie Riedel)

Calvin Borel with his trophy: a golden goblet weighing 56 ounces. 2 May 2009. (REUTERS / Jeff Haynes)

The day after his victory in the Kentucky Derby, bird peeking out of his stall at the racetrack, "Churchill Downs" 3 May 2009.

Tags

See also

New and interesting