Winemaking in Germany

Franconia ... Fans of German beer, arrives in Bavaria that would enjoy it, do not climb too far to the north in search of various shades of the drink. There, in northern Bavaria, Franconia lying land, which received its name from the once living here Germanic tribes - Franks. Beer here, I must say, no, but the wine ... wine is just great! They produce the best German wines, the quality is comparable with the French dining dry.

Vineyards occupy more than 6,000 hectares of Franconia. When you go by car on the road along the Main, or go down the river on the ferry, it seems that they (vineyards) no end or edge.

They surround the city, matched to the most homes and are trying to get into the box.

The main varieties of grapes there are three - Müller-Thurgau, Sylvaner and Bacchus. This white grape variety. Generally, before more than 95% of wines produced here were white. Now the proportion of red wines increased to 15-20%. Why is that I used to think that a good wine have to wander around in a barrel. It turns out I was wrong, the white wines are prepared in large metal thermos, where constant temperature is maintained until the wine ferments.

Thermos made to all areas, and in each wandering his wine, and since then some varieties of grapes grown a lot, but what is not so, then all the thermos of different sizes that they could be completely fill the juice.

The barrels are ready only red wines.

They are also of different sizes - from a few tens of liters to several tens of thousands of liters. For example, in each of these huge drums with red rim breaks 24 tons of grape juice! For fun tried to calculate how much you need to squeeze the grapes that would fill one such barrel - turned about 20-30 million.

The most valuable wines are stored under low light in the basement, has poured the dark bottles covered with dust years.

On the counter Franconian wines can be immediately distinguished from other bottled a special form - the so-called boksboytelyam.

According to one legend, these bottles are obliged to form their bags made of goatskin, in which the monks - the first German wine - used to carry the drink. Kind of like put on the table a bag must take these outlines.

However, now the traditions slowly begin to move away and dry Franconian wines are increasingly found in bottles with narrow necks, such as Burgundy or Bordeaux.

About the tradition of Franconian wine and Franconian wine you can talk a long time, but all this talk is nothing if it did not try, and, in fairness it should be noted that for a long time I saw this really good wine.

So if you suddenly find yourself in northern Bavaria, do not forget about boksboytele, it's really worth it.

Tags

See also

New and interesting